3/4" or 1/2" to sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cichlid_tank619

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have an acrylic 100 gallon. On the top of it, it has two 1.25" holes that I am going to use for the in/out tubes to my sump.

Question is should I use 1/2" or 3/4" PVC to the sump? Will it be that big of a difference in GPH flow. I think I am just going to use a 3/4" (bigger the better) and attach a valve before the pump to control the flow rate.

Is this the best way to do it?

ezy33 said:
Can you post some photos? Yes bigger is better to a point and the valve goes after the pump. What size pump?

Well I haven't started on the sump or have a pump. I'm in the process of building the stand.

I was going to use a syphon style into a drip system then pump it back to the tank. My next question was what size pump?

Guess I need to figure out how much water is coming our via the syphon into the sump to decided the pump and its GPH

this is the pictures of the sump I'm going to build in a old 40 tall

Attachments

• image-40752801.jpg
    image-40752801.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 71
  • image-1418029365.jpg
    image-1418029365.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 72
ezy33 said:
Can you post some photos? Yes bigger is better to a point and the valve goes after the pump. What size pump?

Just drew these quick this morning. Just so I could put some ideas down on paper for people to see. The actual media in the sump is to be continued. LOL

Attachments

• image-3521295556.jpg
    image-3521295556.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 63
If its acrylic why don't u drill the hole nicer and use a 2 or 3 " down to the sump? That way u will be pretty safe regardless of what pump u get to return. I'm pretty sure I have a mag 2 in mine and there is no way a 1 inch return would ever keep up

image-3936198122.jpg

image-3836644851.jpg

Reeffanman said:
If its acrylic why don't u drill the hole nicer and use a 2 or 3 " down to the sump? That way u will be pretty safe regardless of what pump u get to return. I'm pretty sure I have a mag 2 in mine and there is no way a 1 inch return would ever keep up

You think I should do the over flow and valves on both in and out lines? Pictured together in the second posted pictures..

I would only put a valve right after the pump on the return. There is no need to shut off the overflow so why bother? The ball valve after the pump can be used to limit flow if your overflow cannot keep up.

Reeffanman said:
I would only put a valve right after the pump on the return. There is no need to shut off the overflow so why bother? The ball valve after the pump can be used to limit flow if your overflow cannot keep up.

I see what your saying.. If the water level where to drop there would be no water to go into the over flow to the sump. I don't have to worry about they return pump "catching up" or not returning it to the tank fast enough.

Back
Top Bottom