40 yr old empty large tank???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MonkeyMonk86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 40yr old 65 or 75 gallon tank that has been empty for about 35 years at room temperature ( not stored in garage ). It's glass with clear sealant at the seams. Right now, I cannot get to it to inspect it b/c I will need help pulling it off the lower shelf and onto the stand. What are the odds that it might hold water and not leak?

Is there a way to test for leaks without filling the tank up?

I went to LFS and asked for a price to clean and set up the tank and they told me I had to set it up and test for leaks 1st. Obviously, I won't need them after I get the required help to liberate, clean and fill the tank.

I'm worried about a 75 gallon flood.

Can new sealant be placed over old sealant? Or does old sealant need to be completely removed?

When I got an old used tank I put it outside, filled it up and put food coloring in it so I could see where the leaks where if there was any leaks.

And of you do need to reseal it I would take as much of the old stuff off so the new sealant will have direct contact with the glass.

When I got an old used tank I put it outside, filled it up and put food coloring in it so I could see where the leaks where if there was any leaks.

And of you do need to reseal it I would take as much of the old stuff off so the new sealant will have direct contact with the glass.
Excellent advice. I completely agree. Leave it set-up for about two weeks. Also if you do have leaks, try and get it professionally resealed.

Excellent advice. I completely agree. Leave it set-up for about two weeks. Also if you do have leaks, try and get it professionally resealed.

+1 to both of these. The silicone may have dried up and become brittle over this ammount of time.

To get a professional to do it, its easier and well they are professionals. It would be really cheap too

You should definitely remove the old silicone and put new on. It doesn't take that long and is the best insurance. I would still do a 24-48 hour leak test.

Thanks! Where do I look or google for aquarium strip and reseal. My mom & pop LFS didn't offer that option.

You can strip it your self if your up for the challenge. Just remove all the silicone from the inside of the tank if it doesn't leak after your test with a razor blade and goto lowest or home depot and get GE1 clear silicone and reseal it. It sounds very simple but striping is the hard part. You don't wanna dig the razor into the cracks where the glass is held together

Thank you so much for all the advice!!! And, the wonderful informative link!!!

I'm not skilled or agile at 62, and don't have much open time b/c I take care of my live in 92 yr old mom. I don't trust myself to do the project. However, next time my daughter's fiancé is in Chicago, I'll ask him if he could possibly take on the job. The kids are always short of money, but they are rarely in Chicago more than 1 day.

Thank you so much for all the advice!!! And, the wonderful informative link!!!

I'm not skilled or agile at 62, and don't have much open time b/c I take care of my live in 92 yr old mom. I don't trust myself to do the project. However, next time my daughter's fiancé is in Chicago, I'll ask him if he could possibly take on the job. The kids are always short of money, but they are rarely in Chicago more than 1 day.

Another option if you can't get one of them to do it, is find a local fish club and I'm sure there will be a few people there that will be willing to help you out. I found my local club on Facebook and they are always helping each other out. Just a thought

Excellent concept!!! I'll try to locate one. What did you put in the search bar at FB to find yours.

(Thank God, I did join & learn FB; no concept of twitter. Getting old is great is some ways like long awaited retirement, but is a bummer in other ways like falling behind technology.)

Excellent concept!!! I'll try to locate one. What did you put in the search bar at FB to find yours.

(Thank God, I did join & learn FB; no concept of twitter. Getting old is great is some ways like long awaited retirement, but is a bummer in other ways like falling behind technology.)

I searched fish/aquarium clubs of wherever you are

Thanks! I think your idea is so excellent!!! I might even meet some fun people. I never get out b/c of taking care of mom. The idea of making friends really makes me happy. Thanks ever so much!

Back
Top Bottom