Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-09-2011, 04:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Skype™ to LemurLad
55gal Tank Rim Breaking

I bought this 55gal off of craigslist a couple of months ago and I'm finally setting it up, but while I was emptying the testing water from it, I noticed that the tank rims were cracked and warped in a few places. With most tanks this probably wouldn't be too big of an issue, but from what I gather, the bracing on 55gals is structural. Here are some pics:

So do I try to fix it or just let it be? It held for 4 days of water testing, so it seems sound, but I'd rather not have 55 gallons of water all over my floor.

Old 05-10-2011, 01:30 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm not sure what sort of structural integrity issues the cracked/separated/warped plastic might bring.

But I would sure be curious as to what CAUSED these to happen in the first place, especially the big warped part!

Old 05-10-2011, 03:08 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah, good point! My guess is that since it was sitting outside for a couple of months, the plastic may have been heated and cooled which shrank and weakened it.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:19 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is the integrity of the cross brace weakened? That would be my concern if it were my tank. The glass isn't strong enough to support a full tank at that length. Other than that, the rim is more trim that anything IME. I've seen big tanks that were rimless and some people here that have removed the rims of their tanks and not had an issue (reported anyway).
Old 05-10-2011, 03:22 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

if it sat outside then my bets sunlight caused it, cheap plastic and sunlight don't go together. As for the rest, not sure it would hold the way it is, but then its only there to "help" hold it... what kind of stand do you have for it? if its wood you could make some braces and screw them into it(the stand) so that they would take the plastics place, my 125g tank stand has something along those lines to "hold" the tank in place.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:22 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I don't think either of the cross braces are weakened as there was no noticeable bowing while it was full. Stand is as simple as it gets: 3 stacks of 3 cinderblocks with 2x4s and a sheet of plywood on top. Maybe I should add some sort of additional brace on top of the current one just for insurance though?
Old 05-10-2011, 03:25 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemurLad View Post
I don't think either of the cross braces are weakened as there was no noticeable bowing while it was full. Should I add some sort of additional brace on top of the current one just for insurance though?
That's a good idea. You just want to keep those two walls from moving away from each other.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:46 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Then that is what I'll do, thanks guys! Build thread is coming! I'm gonna go with a dirt base for this one!
Old 05-10-2011, 07:13 AM   #9
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I don't like it. While some may think the trim is decorative, it's not. The trim is structural. That center cross support keeps the tank from bowing. With the trim cracked like that, it looks to me like it could just pop right off. I wouldn't feel comfortable setting it up, and I don't worry about stuff much.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:15 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Then do you suggest I re-trim it myself? Glasscages sells replacement trims for reasonable prices. Edit: Well. Not too reasonable. it's ~45$ for new top and bottom trim for a 55. I bet I could make a wooden or metal trim.

Tags
55 gallon, rim, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com