56gal tank, 10 gal. sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

z_dano

Aquarium Advice Freak
Would a 10 gallon sump be enough? My tank is the column type so I don't have much room. Suggestions greatly appreciated.

Really depends. If your equipment can fit in it I don't see an issue. But bigger is always better for sumps.

Your risk for mircobubbles (skimmer takes a lot of space, leaving little room for baffles) and overflow is higher with your tiny sump.

Are there any alternatives to the small sump? Other than the off the shelf sumps?

Build an end table next to the tank and inside leave room for like a 20 long for a sump then you could use a 10 under you stand for strictly a fuge or other equipment.

Unfortunately the tank is in the living room and the boss wants everything hidden underneath. We kind of have limited space in the living room as well (didnt have 48" of wall space). I'm going to remeasure when I get home.

Mrc8858 said:
Build an end table next to the tank and inside leave room for like a 20 long for a sump then you could use a 10 under you stand for strictly a fuge or other equipment.

After re-reading I understand what your saying. I'm really strapped for space but its a possibility.

So I built it out of the 10 gal... Temp for now. I went to one of my local retailers and took pointers in how they built their sump system (they were very helpful). I'm short on interior space in the sump but think I can fit a skimmer. Sadly no room for a divider, maybe once I get everything in ill be able to find a good layout.... Maybe.

Back
Top Bottom