65 Gal lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So would the Nova system be considered low to moderate lighting????? or moderate to high???? i know its not high to intense lol

At 156w that would be considered low to moderate lighting at 2.4w per gal. Even then some moderate light corals would have to be placed higher in order to get enough light since your tank is 24” deep.

Also keep in mind that a lot of low to moderate light corals can be difficult to feed since photosynthesis is not how they feed. I would brose liveaquaria.com for more ideas on what you can keep and what they require looking for coral that is not only low to moderate light but also easy to moderate in difficulty in keeping.

Okay Should i go with a
36" 342 watt total: 1-150 watt HQI; 2-96 watt 4 lunar (Outer Orbit)
or
36" 384 watt total: (4 - 96 watts) 3 Lunar Lights (Orbit Compact Fluorescent)

Is the HQI worth the extra $50?

Thanks guys

I am in the same boat. I am looking around for the best deal I can find on lighting. You might could go with 2x175 10k metal halide. and 2x96w power compacts. I use the watt/gal. just as a basic idea of what I want. That would give you about 542w. Just under 7w/gal.
Melissa

I just want to be able to have some corals and an anenome for my clowns :)

I wish that odysae had a better rep than they have because they have some descent prices. but then again if they did the prices would probably be higher. I am really looking though and if I find anything I will let you know. Someone told me to check out www.petsolutions.com. I havent had a chance yet but you might could look there.
Melissa

I dont know if you tried this yet but if you go to the forum home page scroll down to buy sell trade and click on sponsor forum. There is a list of sites there.
Melissa

Don't go for the T-5s. Don't sell yourself short. Buy the one with HQI. You won't regret it. It will give you more choices. For $50 extra, it's so worth.

With that said, you may need to consider DIY-ing an extra fan in there or something. Or else, you may end up with an aquarium stew. Or, you can get a chiller. To Keep It Simple Sir, you may stick with PCs and worry less of temp fluctuations.

I have an Orbit. I like it. 4x65 W actinic/sunpaq daylights with white moon lights. magnificent. I like Orbit. The setup is really quality made.

Yes, I know that I will be limited to what types of animals I can put in there. However, I know for a fact that I am not going beyond shrooms, bubble corals, and leather and polyps. I am not for intricate setups with intricate animals. Just enough to keep me busy and relaxed at the same time.

So: 4x96 is decent. It wouldn't have too much temp problems. But you are limited to animals you can house. HQI's, you can have anemone, SPS, LPS, and gorgonias and stuff. You can either choose the KISS route or the "I want choices" route. The choices come with extra responsibilities and possible extra required gadgets too. Good luck!

Well then MH it is i suppose lol :) from what i keep hearing its the way to go :)

Back
Top Bottom