A light question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gipson

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Will a t-8 put out more light then a t-5 even though they are rated 10000k ?

I am horrible at lighting questions. A general guide we go by is Watts per gallon. But it is so outdated because of the addition of new technology like MH`s and T5`s. Maybe someone with some knowledge on lighting will answer. I just wanted to give you some kind of answer.

I'm probably as bad as Mike, but the 10K is the spectrum of light. I am not sure on the difference of light output. So I'll sit here with you and Mike until someone can help us.

Ok, this is what I get out of the quick reading I did. T8 means tube and the 8 means the diameter in eighths of an inch. So a T8 is 1inch and T5s are 5/8 of an inch. That being said, the T8s are larger in diameter and could produce more light....? Anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong....

t8 will put out more light and run cooler then the t5. t12 would be brighter then the t8 but takes more power to run it this is just what iv read. the bigger the tube the more light ya get but it takes more power to run these bigger tubes so best all around buld would be the t8 .

kickeralpine said:
t8 will put out more light and run cooler then the t5. t12 would be brighter then the t8 but takes more power to run it this is just what iv read. the bigger the tube the more light ya get but it takes more power to run these bigger tubes so best all around buld would be the t8 .
well i quess if ya dont have the extra power the t8 would be brighter then the t 12

Yes, lumens are the measure of light output. The new T5 lighting systems have been compared to that of MH output with less heat and less power. I personally don't like the look of them I like the shimmer and intensity of the MH. This all depends on what you are putting these lights on too. If you have a FW tank or something that doesn't have high light demanding critters then the T8 or T12s should be ok.

Ziggy953 - My assumption is your talking about T5VHO (Very High Output). There is also T5HO (High Output) and Normal Output (NO) T5, for those who are unfamiliar with T5 lights. I didn't know there were three types of T5 lighting and was confused when people said T5 because it was never clear if it was VHO, HO, NO, they were reffering too.

Back
Top Bottom