Advice for powerhead...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ch-b

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 15 gallon saltwater tank but the current flow on it it's not sufficient so i need to get a power head but what power for that size can circulate the water without too much flow give some good power head to buy and how much power do i need 1?
img_2730949_0_3c951a98e8c4d69dea73b645fc4d3b14.jpg

What do you have running in the corner? Looks like it has enough power to move the sand out of the front corner of the tank. If you keep the pump where it is. Aim the output up a little and more toward the front middle of the tank and a little more up you should be good. You should also get that surface agitation too that you need. Or if you wanted to ad a additional pump I don't think needed after seeing the whole tank. I would add a Hydor nano 240 for $25 on the opposite side. I would try re aiming your existing one first.

man i don't want that pump anymore it's useless i tried to aiming it but nothing :l it's still not giving me the right flow so i need for now that nano 240 it should sufficient? should i get anything else or just the the powerhead?

I would start there with the power head. I have the hydor 240 in my sump and it should work well in your tank it has a nice wide flow pattern. I'd place in a similar location as your existing pump. just a little higher and on the left side wall toward the back. Amazon has them $24.80 free shipping. Other than that you should be good to go when your tank cycles the rock will filter everything else. Looks good. Looks like you have enough light to do some soft corals down the road if you wanted to also and a good rock layout to let them grow.

man i don't think i can grow corals my light is 15 wat :l and how do i know if the cycle started?

Testing your ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates, You need something in the tank that will start the cycle. Piece of raw shrimp some people have used gets a little smelly after a while. When I upgraded I used Dr Tims Ammonia chloride no smell and worked well there are instructions on the website. Here is a good link Fishless Cycling - How to Start - A detailed guide from DrTim's Aquatics. Basically when testing your ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates. you will see ammonia go up then start to come down then nitrites will go up then start down and nitrated will start going up and nitrites will be zero. time to do water change and start adding fish slowly keeping eye on parameters. Big thing take it slow and you will be rewarded. Good article worth a read. My first tank I got some realy good live rock and never say any ammonia or nitrite levels basically a instant cycle but I still waited 4 weeks anyway. Nitrates in that tank were always 0ppm

if i don't want any corals this light is good for current live rocks?

You will be fine the amount of light really is not that important if you are not growing coral. The live bacteria in the rocks will populate and grow under pretty much any light. I've seen fish only tanks doing fine with just the light from the room. Doesn't look as nice though.

Man thank you very much u are so helpfull i was so worried that my light isnt good for my live rock anyway can i get 425 gph power head? It will work great or not in my 15 galloon tank?

Did a little more research on the hydor pumps personally I would still get the 425 and here is why.

Price difference $1.
Hydor 240 rated for 10-15 gal tank
Hydor 425 rated for 15-30 gal tank

Also did some looking on a couple of other forums and some people were saying that the 425 was under powered for their 16gal tank but they had some corals too. My 425 in my sump is in a portion that is the equivalent to a 10 gallon tank. I have a sand bottom in the sump also. I have the pump mounted on one side blowing directly across to the other and the flow just reaches. I think if you got a 240 you would end up buying another one and be in it for $50 instead of $25. I even had it in a 10gal salt I was messing around with at one point. They are nice and small too

Attachments

• IMG_0976.jpg
    IMG_0976.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0977.jpg
    IMG_0977.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 44
You would be fine in your 15 gallon tank. I had the 425GPH circulation pump and a 294GPH return pump in a 10 Gallon tank and was thinking about adding another pump before I just scraped the whole tank. You will be good with the 425. If you are nervous about it go with the 240 and if you have issues with cyano down the road add another 240 pump.

Back
Top Bottom