Air PUmps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JTAM963

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is it good to run a air pump plus a filter in a 20 gallon tank? Plus what type and size would be good?

When you say air pump, do you mean you will be hooking up an air stone or bubble wall to the pump?

It doesn't hurt anything. As long as the filter is providing adequate water agitation on the top of the water, then adding any kind of air pump is essentially useless to the fish.

If you had plants in the tank I would say not to use an air pump as that would drive off CO2. But if you have a non-planted tank, go ahead and put one in.

If you have a HOB filter, like most folks do these days, you probably notice that the water dropping into the tank makes bubbles. This puts oxygen into the water. I have two ten gallons set up this way. They have no air pump and the fish are all fine.

Now, if you have a canister filter that releases the water down inside that tank (so that there's no surface agitation), you may want to put an air pump into your tank.

Also, you could put an air stone/bubble wall in if you think bubbles are attractive. I am thinking about putting a bubble wall on the back side of one of my tanks. Not because the fish need them, but because I like the way they look.

8)

Back
Top Bottom