Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-27-2003, 04:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Air PUmps

Is it good to run a air pump plus a filter in a 20 gallon tank? Plus what type and size would be good?

JTAM963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 04:45 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
When you say air pump, do you mean you will be hooking up an air stone or bubble wall to the pump?

It doesn't hurt anything. As long as the filter is providing adequate water agitation on the top of the water, then adding any kind of air pump is essentially useless to the fish.

If you had plants in the tank I would say not to use an air pump as that would drive off CO2. But if you have a non-planted tank, go ahead and put one in.

Biggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 11:13 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
If you have a HOB filter, like most folks do these days, you probably notice that the water dropping into the tank makes bubbles. This puts oxygen into the water. I have two ten gallons set up this way. They have no air pump and the fish are all fine.

Now, if you have a canister filter that releases the water down inside that tank (so that there's no surface agitation), you may want to put an air pump into your tank.

Also, you could put an air stone/bubble wall in if you think bubbles are attractive. I am thinking about putting a bubble wall on the back side of one of my tanks. Not because the fish need them, but because I like the way they look.

Zic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 11:29 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to HOLLIEO Send a message via Yahoo to HOLLIEO
I just bought this really neat flexible bubble bar. totally awesome... I recommend it, if you are just looking for the bubble effect. No. desn't really do anything for the fish.... well, a few of mine like playing in the bubbles... but look great. Check it out here:http://www.marinedepot.com/a_ap_va_as.asp
Aquarium Advice.Com ROCKS!!!!
HOLLIEO is offline   Reply With Quote

air, air pump, air pumps, pumps

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com