Another Skimmer Question, Please Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryshark

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just got this skimmer today Octopus NW 150 Needle Wheel Protein Skimmer* - AquaCave
I was able to put it together by looking at that picture, since there wasn't much for directions in the box. My previous skimmer was a crappy airstone skimmer that was built into my wet/dry. What do I do with those foam donut things. I put them on there like in the picture. But, is the bottom one supposed to be flush with the water line? Also do you know how to adjust this skimmer? I just plugged it in and thats about it. The body of the skimmer has lots of turbulence but so far there is no foam or anything at all in the collection cup. I am assuming because of the whole break in thing. Thanks for any help.

Here are the directions I found "Simple to use! Plug it in and set the water level using the telescoping riser tube" What do I set the water level too?

I dont have that brand so I cant help much. Mine has a water line on it. And yes there will be a break in period.

That's a real good skimmer. You will like it.
The foam doughnuts just slip over the riser tube. They are only there to cut down on the microbubbles. There are pics in my build thread showing my NW200.
To adjust the water level in the skimmer, either raise or lower the riser tube. While it's breaking in, which can take a good 2-3 weeks before you see it really skim, you can set it a little higher than you would once it's broken in. Try pushing the riser all the way down, then pull it up about 2". That should put the level where the water ends and the bubbles begin right about at the bottom of the neck.

Let me edit this...I just noticed you have the new funnel neck version. The water level should be about 1/2 way up the black cone on that version of the Octo.

Thanks Cccapt, The reason I got that one is because I saw that you and ziggy recommended it in WantingtofindNemo's Proein Skimmer Thread. I know the recirculating would have even been better but, but I wanted to save the $100 since I dumped about $500 this week into the aquarium already. I will bring the water level half way up the black cone, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom