Aqua Clear Diffuser

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

azn_fishy55

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Since my attempt to make my self a Vortex reactor failed I am with a high light tank and no CO2 diffuser.So I shoved the CO2 tube into the intake tube.Will this work for awhile while I look for a suitable diffuser for my tank?The tank is 30 gallons with 95 watt cp with potting soil/shult's aquatic soil/sand substrate,with a total substrate depth of 2 in.I intend to add one more inch of sand when I buy more plants and replant.The media in the aquaclear is 1 sponge and 1 bag of bio max(has been in another tank for about a month or two to culture bateria);no carbon.

Can you test the KH and pH of rested tap and after injection? If you get at least 20ppm CO2 I think you will be okay. Do not test until the lights are on for at least a couple hours, and your goal should be to make sure CO2 never falls below 30ppm. What happened with the DIY Vortex? Members here might be able to help you through it if you want to try again.

lol I tried to make to make the reactor in an odd way.The gravel tube was horizontal and the bubbles would be blasted into the water stream and ram into the filter floss.The problem is that it didn't diffuser very well and some CO2 gas would escape compared to the full diffusion of the CO2 gas in the AquaClear filter.I am going to try monday because I am going to buy more plants and buy a KH test tomorrow.Also what do you mean by retested tap water?

Let the tap water sit before testing so CO2 gasses off. I waited a day. If the KH and pH are around 3ppm, the KH/pH chart will be useful. If not, you have to go by observation and maybe infer CO2 from pH drop.

I doubt the AquaClear is giving you full diffusion fwiw, because I get better numbers with other methods. If you do not mind the noise and the numbers are good, it is all the reactor you need though.

Why not make the reactor tube vertical? You can shorten the tube like the Mini-Vortex if you want. Aquabotanic is apparently coming out with glass diffusors that start at $9 soon, btw. Might be worth the wait.

Well I had an old pump but I didn't know how to put it vertical since it has to be on its side to stick on the wall and I wanted to buy a new pump but a rio 50 pump is 21 bucks which I think is really expensive.So what are your methods of diffusing that were very successful.I am open to ideas.Also what is this CO2 chart?

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_co2chart.htm

Leave a little tubing between the gravel vac and powerhead, so the vac can be vertical even if the pump isnt. The traditional powered diffusor design is very good, but this layout may be easy to turn into a Barr venturii reactor. My best diffusion has been with integration with a Thoene river tank (diagram) or injecting into my return pump (>3ft of piping, similar to injecting into the return line of a strong canister). Both methods are overkill for my setup.

I have a 10gal going now with only a powered diffusor for water movement. I cannot use the chart because pH after injection is below my test and am going by plant observation, and believe I am getting great diffusion. (I am intentionally softening the water, and there are no animals in the tank.) I cannot stress enough that a traditional powered diffusor is good, quiet, and easy, and you do not need to make things more complicated if you do not want to, as long as you reach at least 30ppm CO2.

(DIY CO2 is unstable. IME it is best to keep nominal output at 30ppm CO2 or higher for high light, so lack of stability is less important.)

HTH

Have you made the Barr Venturi Reactor before?I am comfused on building it and what parts are needed.Like what powerhead should I use,and where to connect all the tubing etc.TIA

Its okay,I bought a Sailfert CO2 test kit instead of a KH test kit and according to it,my CO2 ppm is 30-40 ppm.I put 30-40 ppm because the light was dim and I couldn't really see the color and I think I did the test wrong so yeah.I went ahead and bought another bubble ladder and see if the ppm of CO2 is high or low and if I should use the AquaClear as a diffuser or the bubble ladder.Tahnks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom