Aquarium Cover - Eggcrate and glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

darknessheir

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello,
I am working on setting up my 55 gallon soon to be SW with a 29 gallon sump. I have egg crate cut to sit in the groves on top of the tank. I read that covering it with glass would be bad (gas exchange and ph something.) So I went with the egg crate to keep out foreign objects (from the 4 yr old). I have a Coralife 48" Lunar Light. It has a plastic cover protecting the lights. I am just wondering if there would be any problem if i had a piece of glass cut to go between the eggcrate and the light. Just the size of the light. So any salt will deposite on the glass and not the plastic, making it easier to scrape off!

I don't think that would be a problem at all. A partial cover of glass doesn't doom you to low pH. 3/4 of my top is glass covered and I've never had any issues with pH, gas exchange, etc. Doesn't mean that someone else's tank wouldn't have those problems with my setup (due to all the other variables involved), but that's been my experience.

Back
Top Bottom