Aquarium lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaveAndLiz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
The light in our aquarium stopped working a few days ago, thinking it was just the fluorescent tube i bought a new one! However the bulb is now flickering very badly.
I was concerned that this may scare the fish so i have had to switch the light off while i figure out what the problem is.

Any ideas what may be wrong with the light? And will the fish be ok with no lighting in the meantime and for how long?

The flickering alone tells me the ballast has gone bad. It will need replaced. What size is it so I can fetch a link to show you what the replacement ballast should look like.
In other words how long is it and what wattage tube(s) does it take?

check that everything is screwed tightly. loose things may cause flickering... i also got that prob;em once and tightened everything

amitnarain said:
check that everything is screwed tightly. loose things may cause flickering... i also got that prob;em once and tightened everything

are you talking about fluorescent bulbs? what the heck is there to tighten?
maybe with incandesents you can tighten in a bulb but not with a fluorescent tube.. if its flickering your ballast is going bad and will burn out new bulbs far before they should go bad..

i think he means loose as in the bulb isnt sitting in properly in the fixture because the contacts arent where they're supposed to be so spinning the bulb until it's tight means that the contacts are touching and in place

btw. Im not saying it never hurts to make sure things are put together correctly.. Im just saying the flickering bulb is a definate sign of a bad ballast..

Thanks for all your help! I thought it may be sitting loose but i have tightened it so much i'm not sure i will be able to take it out :)

The tube is 15w and 18" long! Is it fairly easy to get a replacement ballast? how easy are they to fit?

Did you put in a T12 or T10 bulb? If your ballast is for a T8 putting in a T12 which are quite frequently sold for aquariums will cause flickering and then blow the ballast. If I was replacing a ballast I'd try to find a T12 so I could use practically any bulb without blowing it. The link greenmagi had is a t12 ballast the one mentioned at hd would be t8.

Back
Top Bottom