Aquarium Weight Issue, 2nd floor.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dtholden

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm not sure how to find this info. But I live on the second floor of my apartment complex. Water as I'm sure you all know is a heavy bugger, would the roughly 500 pounds of water be an issue? I feel like it wouldn't considering some bed frames and or television entertainment systems probably weigh that amount. Thanks again for all the help! This is in regards to a 40 gallon as well. Hope this is the right forum to post in!

Thanks Dylan

Well just the water your looking at 332 pounds. But your gonna have water displacement due to decor and substrate. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

I have a 75 gallon tank with rocks, rocks and more rocks. 4 pieces of driftwood, plants a canopy, stand and a HUGE light.

I think your good... :)

I think your ok I have a 90 gal. with no problems. I'd just make sure the tank is going across the joists so it catches 2 or 3 of them rather then the other way catching only 1 or 2

Your fine, I'd bet your floor could even hold up to a 125gal. This is where a good aquarium stand really is important. With large tank you just dont want metal stands with legs that pinpoint the weight, but rather like a cabinet stand with wide bases / feet to spread the weight.

Interesting. Would I have to call the landlord to get an idea of which direction those are going in? Like a building plan or something?

Thanks Jcolon, I've been reading tons on stands. I saw this DIY stand done with cinder blocks, it actually was really impressive and had a lot of success, and didn't look lazy.

Yes the landlord might know or if you can see them in the basement they usually run the same way

Landlord it is, my basement would be the neighbors apartment below me haha. thanks again

I would make sure that you're allowed to have a tank of that size before you ask them. A few of the apartments I've lived in didn't allow tanks larger than 10g. If you ask the landlord, and he gets wind of you having a 40g, you're setting yourself up for a fine (not trying to scare you, just giving you a heads up).

I would ask first, as others have suggested. Many landlords actually have a clause in the contract covering this.

Just to make a note, the weight of the tank itself isnt the issue, it's how spread out it is. A waterbed takes a HUGE amount of water, but it's weight per square foot is less than a standard sized refrigerator. As jcolon said, you need to spread out the weight distribution. The pressure on the joists, evenly distributed, should be negligible. A cabinet that is at least 3 feet wide should spread it out enough to eliminate the risk.

Back when I lived in an apartment I told my landlord I had fish and she asked "they are in a tank right?", um yea.

Back
Top Bottom