Aquatek Needle Valve is Very Touchy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RadMax8

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys,

I have been using my CO2 system for a couple weeks now and I've got a question: are all needle valves super touchy? If I turn it 1/16 of a turn, it's the difference between .5 BPS and 1000 BPS. Is this typical, or should I look at replacing this part? Any suggestions on replacements? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Which reg. Is it? Mini paintball?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What is the working pressure set at? I read somewhere that the higher the working pressure, the more sensitive the needle valve adjust is. But I cannot for the source to confirm that.

It's the Deluxe model, adjustable working pressure. I've got it hooked to a 5# tank.

The input pressure is about 1000 psi from the tank, and I've got it down to an output of between 35-40, as my GLA diffuser asks for at least 30. Working pressure fluctuates a bit.

Im the wrong person to comment but anyways.. i set the working pressure at 7, the full tank sits around 900, my needle valves are extremely touchy.. like you say. . Not much between 4 bps and 100 bps..

How are you getting your co2 into the system, Brookster? Do I remember seeing you build a reactor? That makes sense that you can use a low working pressure.

I'm just real nervous, I adjusted the flow last night and now I'm going to spend about 12 hours away.

How are you getting your co2 into the system, Brookster? Do I remember seeing you build a reactor? That makes sense that you can use a low working pressure.

I'm just real nervous, I adjusted the flow last night and now I'm going to spend about 12 hours away.

One thing I've learned, never adjust and go.. sometimes it takes an hour to clear the diffuser and the bible rate can increase. I diffuse 3 dissent ways at the moment. Reactor, diffuser into cannister intake and diffuser under hob outflow. All seem to working fine for the application. It could always be better though.

Yeah I sat and watched while I did my water change... I kept it on for an extra hour and all seemed to be fine. I'm just a Nervous Nelly, y'know?

Yeah I sat and watched while I did my water change... I kept it on for an extra hour and all seemed to be fine. I'm just a Nervous Nelly, y'know?

Should be good, you'd be best in obsessing over anything co2 related.. it's the one thing aside from a heater malfunction that could wipe your tank with the quickness.

I'm using the AquaTek Premium. Tank psi is 1000, working psi is about the same as yours (30-40). Yes, needle valve can be touchy. Last adjustment was 3+ months ago when I went from 1-2 bps to 3 bps. I try not to touch it. When I was running it at 20 psi with a Fluval diffuser, would actually see the working psi jump up and down with each bubble. Also, early on (first couple of months) the bps would sporadically jump up for several minutes and then back to normal.
Yes, I once gassed the tank but I was home and caught it in time.
Would like to run a reactor one day.

Ok, so it seems like everything is pretty normal. I just need to be extra careful and resist the urge to touch anything.

I guess the initial reason I fiddled with it was that the power flicked out (not enough to stop my Aqua Clears, or reset the clock on the stove, but it got my microwave) and my solenoid stuck shut. This happened before and it reset when I unplug it. Kinda bizarre. I guess better stuck off than on though.

Funny you should mention this. I do recall on a few occasions coming home and discovering the regulator in the OFF position even though the timer is ON. I very brief interruption might be the culprit.
True, it is better left in the OFF position than in the ON position in this situation.

Yeah, I think a very brief power blip is the culprit. It's been stuck off twice, both times the microwave clock was reset, but everything else was normal. I'd be interested to see if it could ever get stuck on, other than solenoid failure.

Ohh crap.. I've figured out my problem.. told you I was the wrong person to ask:( you'll notice the 7 falls at around 110 psi... it's no wonder I've been draining tanks like a pro... i shouldn't even be posting this haha

I just checked mine...working psi is 65. I used to keep it lower but cannot remember why I bumped it up.
Yeah, 110 psi sounds a little high IMO especially since you are not running it into a diffuser. No idea what back pressure your reactor has but I imagine it is pretty low.

Ohh crap.. I've figured out my problem.. told you I was the wrong person to ask:( you'll notice the 7 falls at around 110 psi... it's no wonder I've been draining tanks like a pro... i shouldn't even be posting this haha

I'm going to apologize in advance... But I just gotta say haha! And then I'll admit the gauge threw me off a little at first. Fun fact, kg/cm2 is kind of an odd, old unit. The SI unit is kPa, or kilo Pascal. All the regulators I have at work use psi and kPa.

100 psi probably helped drain that bad boy. At least you tracked down your leaks so it's super tight now!

I'm going to apologize in advance... But I just gotta say haha! And then I'll admit the gauge threw me off a little at first. Fun fact, kg/cm2 is kind of an odd, old unit. The SI unit is kPa, or kilo Pascal. All the regulators I have at work use psi and kPa.

100 psi probably helped drain that bad boy. At least you tracked down your leaks so it's super tight now!

Yah...$70 wasted co2 us hilarious max.. huh.. :) I feel petty stupid pants about the whole thing.

Happens to the best of us. You're right, $70 into thin air sucks. But it could have been worse, at least all that gas wasn't going into the tank.

Thanks to you and to Fresh for helping to explain this stuff to me. You guys' experience is invaluable!

But having learned all this working pressure stuff.. when I'm running 2 reactors.. i should be able to knock it down to around 30psi. Think that should prolong the tank even further? Less stress on the reg?? Save the seals for a while?? I'm happy to share my mistakes in hopes that others will not repeat.. though I doubt anyone will ever search out this thread:( why search when you can post anew.

If you save even one tank, isn't it worth it?

You should be able to go real low on your working pressure. I can't imagine there's much back pressure with a reactor. Not familiar with the type you're using but from what I've seen on the internets, people just feed the gas straight into the water, no diffuser to jam up the works.

Back
Top Bottom