Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-07-2013, 03:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Aqueon water changer ??

So I got one of these and I think I might be doing something wrong. I hook up everything correctly. At least I think. I make sure all the valves are tight and for some reason my suction isn't strong at all! Even when the sink is on full blast. I have sand substrate and it can barely suck up the poop and waste from the bottom if any. It does fine sucking up water but nothing else. Is it suppose to be like this?? Before I would just use tubing to suck out all the waste instead of using a gravel vac so I don't get all the sand in there. Please help! Thanks

Old 11-07-2013, 04:26 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a 50 footer and have a similar "slow flow" issue. The problem for me is simply. The long distance the water has to travel combined with the fact that draw and discharge points are almost at the same height lvl means me water pressure is powerful enough to cause a strong draw. My tank is about 35 feet from the kitchen sink I use. The tank sits a bit higher that counter height.

I have thought about making some type of rig with a impeller pump to increase draw pressure but not sure its worth the hassle.

If you have a flow regulator in you faucet (insert that fits inside the faucet end) usually has a plastic housing. Removing it can increase water flow out of the faucet. which would increase the suction slightly.

Old 11-07-2013, 04:29 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Mine is 50 foot also. My tank is also a little higher then the sink. Could this be it :/
Old 11-07-2013, 05:37 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidman24 View Post
So I got one of these and I think I might be doing something wrong. I hook up everything correctly. At least I think. I make sure all the valves are tight and for some reason my suction isn't strong at all! Even when the sink is on full blast. I have sand substrate and it can barely suck up the poop and waste from the bottom if any. It does fine sucking up water but nothing else. Is it suppose to be like this?? Before I would just use tubing to suck out all the waste instead of using a gravel vac so I don't get all the sand in there. Please help! Thanks
I have a similar issue too. I'm thinking of getting a small external pump and using that for removing the water.....
Old 11-07-2013, 10:05 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I just bought a marineland 1100 pump to suck out water and fill tank up with water i prepared in a tub it makes life real easy
Old 11-07-2013, 10:37 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzepi View Post
I just bought a marineland 1100 pump to suck out water and fill tank up with water i prepared in a tub it makes life real easy
Can you post a picture of it or a link. I'm not sure what type to get....
Old 11-08-2013, 02:31 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Also depends on your water pressure. The first 1 I had was a 50 ft and did great in Conway Arkansas. The same one in Wichita Falls Texas is junk. Water pressure in the house here is low. That seriously reduces the venturi effect. Be careful if u decide to build a pump for suctioning. Use the weakest pump that will get the job done.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:44 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think the easiest fix would be a drill pump like this one. The mechanics use them on the boat yard. just attach to the siphon and your drill and let it rip!

SELF-PRIMING DRILL PUMP (JABSCO)

Provides a very versatile means of transferring fluid almost anywhere an electric drill with 1/4" to 3/8" chuck can be operated. Pumps up to 3-1/2 gpm, self-priming to 3', 1/4" diameter shaft, supplied with 3/4" garden hose thread port adapters, connections for 1/2" ID hose and 3/4" GHT female threaded fittings. Size: 3-5/16" L x 3-1/2" W x 2-3/16" H. Model 17215 includes drain hose and suction tube.

Manufacturer: RULE
Manufacturer Part #:172500003
Old 11-08-2013, 09:54 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

. Here is a link to the pump
Old 11-08-2013, 09:58 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzepi View Post
. Here is a link to the pump
Link not showing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com