Background

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Travis55

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So, ive been trying to decide on what i wanna do but just dont know... now ive came to a new idea... what about car tint??? Wondering about limo tint. I dont wanna drag my tank out of the basement to spray and i dont wanna paint it in the basement... i just don't know what to do...

Travis55 said:
So, ive been trying to decide on what i wanna do but just dont know... now ive came to a new idea... what about car tint??? Wondering about limo tint. I dont wanna drag my tank out of the basement to spray and i dont wanna paint it in the basement... i just don't know what to do...

Idk about tint but I used vinyl wrap for cars :)

Thanks! you get the wrap and as u pull it away from the backing u spray it with water in a spray bottle, u gotta pull it from the backing super slow. Once the backing is off mist the whole thing with water, mist the back of the tank, apply then squeegie out the air bubbles, I used a bondo spreader to remove bubbles.

AndrewsPistol said:
Thanks! you get the wrap and as u pull it away from the backing u spray it with water in a spray bottle, u gotta pull it from the backing super slow. Once the backing is off mist the whole thing with water, mist the back of the tank, apply then squeegie out the air bubbles, I used a bondo spreader to remove bubbles.

Hmmm. Ill have to look around and see if i can find some.

Mumma.of.two said:
You don't have to use spray paint. I used a roller to paint my 40g.

Nice tank Mumma! I personally use spray paint but there great ideas TBO. It's preference I guess and paint is more temporary and needs to be done prior although I did paint the back of my very first tank 29 gallon in the house!! Yeah... Didn't go over to well with the wife but I did get the job done. And everyone was fine. It was like 3am and I got the bright idea.

Mumma.of.two said:
You don't have to use spray paint. I used a roller to paint my 40g.

Ive heard of a roller and paint but how smooth does it look in the inside? I dont want to see any roller marks or bumps.

I painted my 90 with a roller. The part you see is through the glass, so it's smooth. I put 3 coats on mine to make sure the paint was thick enough to cover without any drips or runs.

I've brush painted tanks with acrylics to get the fading out look. You could see brush strokes through the first coat. I added a second coat of black and it looked fine.

Travis55 said:
Ive heard of a roller and paint but how smooth does it look in the inside? I dont want to see any roller marks or bumps.

Perfect :) as said above you only see the paint through the glass. It took me 4 coats but I did the first one really thin.

Thanks convict!! :)

I use black latex paint from home depot to do mine. You can get "tester" Cana for like 4$ and it's more then enough for a tank. I use a roller on 3 coats then go over it with a brush. There will be no visible roller marks.

Back
Top Bottom