Backgrounds inside the tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Corty

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I purchased some tanks a while back, and they're covered in blue paint on the back (and one on the sides). I went and purchased some razor blades, but it won't come off. It's possible that they sanded the glass before they painted it, or perhaps used a different kind of paint. All the razor blade seems to do is etch the paint, and even then I have to really try. All my attempts give me is about an inch of scratched, etched glass.

I've never really used a store bought aquarium background before.. would I be able to place this inside the tank? I've only seen people talking about putting it on the back, but I'm not sure if this is just for ease of use and changing or what.

If not, now what? Is there another way to get this stuff off my tank, or do I have to just pitch the whole thing?

terpentine!!!! my mom is always working with oil paints and all sorts of crazy stuff that is hard to get off. Just make sure you rinse the tanks off thoroughly!!!! I can barely stand a small whiff of the stuff, so I'm sure it won't be good around the fish (the fumes can go into the water and contaminate it as well... another reason not to use harsh cleaners around fish tanks). good luck with it! It might take some elbow grease an a few towels, but I think it will work. If not, then I don't know what to tell you.

oh, hehe, just remembered this one too. Everclear might do the trick as well. I think you can get it for $8 per quart at a liquer store. Don't try drinking it, unless you've got an iron asophagous/stomach :mrgreen:

Once they have fish in them and decorations, plus fake or real plants, you won't really see the background. At least that is the case for me.

I was using turps a while ago...quick lesson: Never open a full bottle of turps with your mouth open. needless to say I swallowed quite a bit. don't ever try it, it tastes worse than petrol (if thats possible)...

Maybe try soaking in T.S.P. Just double check that it wont etch the glass, I'm pretty sure it wont though.

Back
Top Bottom