Beefing up stand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocean

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Going to switch my 20 gal long over to a planted freshwater, the stand it is on is a cheap stand. It's worked ok for five years now but getting a little wobbly. Tightening tthe screws doesn't seem to do much. Can I put some type of supports inside to make it more sturdy or toss it and buy a new one? I don't want 20 gallons of water on my carpet and I'm sure the guy living below me wouldn't be to happy either or the landlord! Quess I answered my own question! Lol

Anyway you can post a pic of the stand? While I can't really ... I'm sure we have members that are very handy and could tell you how to beef up it ... if possible.

BillD said:
Yes, you can beef up a wobbly stand by adding bracing pieces in strategic locations, such as across the back.

I should have thought of that!! I asked at work ( I work at a door and cabinet factory ) and I was told to add blocks of wood, glued no less, to each inside corner of the stand!! That idea didn't seem like it would do much good, considering it has to hold an aquarium full of water! I like your idea much, more, thanks!! :)

jcolon said:
Anyway you can post a pic of the stand? While I can't really ... I'm sure we have members that are very handy and could tell you how to beef up it ... if possible.

I can't post pictures, :(, but the stand is from WalMart, not a great stand but has served it purpose. I would hate to have it fail, more worried about my fish than the water flooding my floor and the apartment below me!! Lol

Back
Top Bottom