Beginner...upgrading lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i never like the filmsy legs on the ends of the fixture and i have heard bad reports on their fixtures. but for that price, you can always take the risk

recommendations on brands or recommendations on how to circumvent the filmsy legs?

Well I guess both, but i was thinking more brands.

I am just trying to estimate cost of switching to more wattage. but staying between 20-30w to maintain lowlight. mainly upgrading for plants...

Well I guess both, but i was thinking more brands.

I am just trying to estimate cost of switching to more wattage. but staying between 20-30w to maintain lowlight. mainly upgrading for plants...

1: say you want this fixture, the easiest way around the filmsy legs is to buy the versa top to shield the fixture from falling into the water should those legs give away

2: quality brands include AquaticLife, Coralife, Finnex, ZooMed and some others. obviously they're going to be more expensive than the ones you've posted. but they do have better quality in the materials that these fixtures are made of as well as the reflectors behind the bulbs, an important factor for plant growth

speaking of which, you should look the thread i started this past weekend about a non-name brand fixture that i got and the problem i'm having with it. this is NOT a generalizaion on this particular brand but it's my ONE and the ONLY experience with non-name brand fixture. talking about 1 out of 1 for bad fixture.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f60/fishneedit-com-quadt5ho-light-review-disappointment-269843.html

ok thanks. is this one good?

http://bit.ly/14WMVcN

and if i have the standard aqueon top will this one fit over it? or would I have to take it off?

thanks..

Or perhaps this one would be the best to maintain the 'lowlight' level?
Catalina Aquarium 1 x 24 Watt T5 HO Aquarium Light for Planted Tanks

I am reading that the dual t5 aquatic life will be too much light...

you can always buy a medium to high light fixture and then talk off one of the bulbs. i always like having options when it comes to lighting. i have a quad light fixture but i only need three, therefore i take one off. if i need more light in the future, i can always add one back. i have not heard CATALINA before so i can't do a review on that, maybe others can.

what exactly are you trying to grow? most hobbyists work backward. once they figure out the plants that they want to grow, then they do a research on the fixture, not the other way around. again, i would give considerations to the dual t5ho fixture even if it has too much light for your purpose now

It will be fine as far as an entry level light but would not consider it quality based on my Odyessa fixtures. I understand wanting to save money as much as one can and this fixture will do just that (upfront). I bought a lot of the cheap buys mentioned as go to stuff on forums to test and use. It all worked but they have always been passable, for the price. Not exactly a glowing praise when you have to always fall back to well it was cheap as the trump card to redeem the fixture.

As far as the Odyessa fixtures I have or had the fit and finish are poor, ballast replacement has been frequent compared to other fixtures I have, using the word reflector is being generous, bulb clips go rather quick (rust) along with the bulb stand offs, and I did have wiring discolor to black in one fixture but it still worked. Would I buy another no.

Catalina Aquarium products fall in the same category (unless things have changed). Mine all came with workhorse ballasts which have performed leaps and bounds over the Odyessa. The reflectors are just as horrible as the Aquatraders if not worse on my units. They seam to run hot as they really cram everything in there tight and the units I bought had no fans initially. Corrosion and rust is a big issue again. You can negate a lot of this with the splash guard but they are hit an miss on cutting to the right size. I had a Catalina retrofit for some time but it was bad about shocking you if you touch them. Also the Catalina pushes the price in my opinion for the overall quality.

I have had no issues with the last T5HO fixture I bought, TEK elite and it looks and peforms as well as it did when it arrived. The good news is you are looking at low to mid light levels so any fixture will essentially get you there just I wouldn't bank on the the cheap fixtures ever ending up being a better deal after the money I spent to repair or remedy issues on the ones I have.

Back
Top Bottom