best canister filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
wow, I didn't know Jebo's had been around long enough to be able to assume they can last as long as most Ehiem's have. Guess I'll have to ask around a little more to get a grasp on the pristine reputation they have built from years of use to be able to compare them to Ehiem canisters... including new models they are copying.

I quess its the simple details like super thin plumbing that collapses under its own weight, or the stationary intake and output nozzles that are made to look like they can pivot on the box that just scream quality. :?

Not saying that these filters are bad, but they are priced where they are for a reason.

Plumbing didn't collapse for me. It's all about proper handling.You would still be ahead if you replaced them with those 'top of the line Eheim hoses' . If you like spending in excess of $100.00 more for those nifty nozzles, GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh is that like the reputation Mercedes has built, yet suffer now from poor build quality. Not saying Eheim is really bad but rediculously overpriced.There will always be the consumer that pays any price and keeps companies like these from being competitive with their prices.

I have run a Rena XP-2 as a 'rescue mission' on a massively overstocked 6 gallon tank for several months, as my original 6" of fish (four 1 1/2" tin foil barbs) quickly grew to about 16" of fish ! It does a good job of removing solids. It does a reasonably good job of carbon filtering. If there's a weak point it's because you can't get a 100% seal so some of the water always bypasses the filter media - but this is true of most canister filters not just the Rena. It does a mediocre job of bio-filtration despite having one tray layer full of bio-rings. By my stopwatch and bucket, except when freshly cleaned it pumps about 160gph, which is a lot for my 6 gallon tank but IMHO not really adequate for any tank bigger than 30 gallons or so. Rena also makes the XP-3 model which has a 50% bigger pump and an extra double-decker media tray, which comes in handy because it allows you to load twice as much carbon, twice as many bio-rings, or a special purpose media. While I haven't owned an XP-3 myself, lots of people are reportedly very happy with them on tanks up to 55 gal.

I wouldn't call my XP-2 'loud' but it is audible from across the room if you listen for it. All in all IMHO Rena makes a whole lot of filter for the price, but they're certainly not 'perfect'.

melonie said:
I wouldn't call my XP-2 'loud' but it is audible from across the room if you listen for it. All in all IMHO Rena makes a whole lot of filter for the price, but they're certainly not 'perfect'.

That's pretty loud then, I had a XP3 and you could hear it from across the room with the cabinent door closed.
I bought a eheim and it was about 60 dollars more, but it came with all media and the extra installation kit (spray bar and intake) and it is EXTREMLY quiet, you can just barely hear it 15 inches away with the door open and with it closed you can hear anything.

I just swapped out a Jebo 828 today for a Eheim 2217. The Jebo was supposed to be my backup filter, but because it primed so easy I started using it first. It worked great for me but the noise drove me crazy. My Eheim is totally silent and the Jebo is religated to its orignal role as backup. The 2217 also seems to pump more water. The big upside of the Jebo was its media baskets which makes changing or rinsing of media very easy.

My Jebo is super silent. Sorry to hear yours is noisy.What type of noise -motor humming or air bubbles in the cannister? Mine is noisy right after priming until the air is purged.There have been aquarists that have checked the gph rate of both filters with no media and found them to be very close.

well, I've posted about my Pentair Rainbow Lifegard modular filter setup in another thread... but it isn't officially considered to be a 'canister' filter I guess, and it didn't elicit much in the way of comments/responses. Eheims get a lot of attention because they're considered to be the 'Mercedes Benz' of canister filters. Fluvals and Filstars get a lot of attention because they are available from 100 internet suppliers at major discounts. There are quite a few comments about Magnums, Jebos etc. as well. My guess is that Eheim, Fluval and Filstar pretty much have captured the majority of the market, so the majority of posters here are just speaking from experience !

It's just that I have Cascade canisters and it's like noone will even give them a chance. The lfs doesn't sell any other brand besides Cascade, so thats why I bought it. And I'm absolutely in love with it. I have talked to individuals who have had Eheim's, Fluval's, and Cascades and said that they prefered the look and quality of the Cascade. But it's like noone will even give it a chance when all they have ever used are Eheim's and Fluvals. It's just frustrating when someone will ask what brand to buy and everyone those out "the Big Three" but totally disregards the Cascade. It's a great, durable filter that is receiving rave reviews. Yet it is going unnoticed.

I've got to agree with Fishy on the Cascade. I just got a 700 for my 55 gal for 54.99 at Bigals and it is super quiet and delivers water so clear my son said "the tank looks empty".

They are great quality filters. The water is crystal clear and the unit is SO quiet. I had the 1000 on an overstocked 55 gal tank full of Cichlids and the water quality was perfect. And that was doing water changes once every two weeks. Plus, I like the look of the Cascade over the others. The input and output tubes don't look so industrialized. They are black and very easy to hide. Thanks Hoover for agreeing with me. I just wish everyone would give them a chance. I know, I haven't personally used the other ones, but that's just because of the look of them. I have friends who use the others and they just aren't as attractive in the tank. But, thats just my opinion.

Drs girlie The 2217 is the" cheap" model.The 2026 Pro 2 can be compared to the Jebo 828. You can't buy Jebo at pet solutions because they can't steal enough of your money if they stock them. 1 year warranty on Jebo but at SFS parts can be sent out of warranty as a courtesy no charge.The tests have been done and the no load gph on the eheim and Jebo are just about identical. German quality has suffered a major blow in engineering and manufacturing.One example Mercedes C-class recognized for its poor build quality. Reason not to buy Jebo over Eheim is nothing but ignorance.But if you like to waste your money or have to have those designer clothes go for it. Next venture for Eheim is a manufacturing plant in China,that is,after they acquire enough capital from ignorant customers.Pet solutions 2028 is $269.00 Superfishstore-$189.00 Pet solutions 2026 is $219.00 Superfishstore-$159.00 The 2217 at Pet solutions is $135.00 Superfishstore-$124.00 Check your prices.

Forget canisters.....just throw a few HOB Whispers on that bad boy.....easier, cheaper, quieter, efficient.

Back
Top Bottom