Best filter media for a Penguin 300 Bio-Wheel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

westward13

Aquarium Advice Regular
Does anyone have a recommendation? It comes with two carbon tray inserts but also has 2 media bins that you can fill with the media of your choice. I've also got a Fluval 304 going with the carbon and little ceramic tubes in it. What would be best to use for the Bio-Wheel as the 2nd type?

Personally, I don't use carbon in any of my tanks. I have some on hand in case a chemical gets in the tanks. Definitely use a spongy media for bacteria to grow and as a mechanical filter.

Why do so many people not use carbon when it comes with every HOB filter? Just a question. :)

-brent

I put peat granules (in a filter bag) in the media baskets of my 330.

I tried running my filters without carbon, but I found that the water got too smelly, even though I do frequent water changes and all the parms were normal. Now I'm back to using carbon. Just my preference.

Brent, I don't use it because you need to change it to keep it active. My tanks all smell fine and I never medicate in the main tanks--only in QT.

Also, some ppl claim that carbon is a major factor in stunting the growth of fish. Esp. sensitive fish, like discus, are almost always kept w/o carbon. When raising fry, most breeders also avoid carbon.

Jon

i use carbon in my media baskets in my 330, i like it but it does draw out chemicals in the water so i end up supplementing, iodine and kalk. Otherwise it's been good for me.

JC

Thanks for the help! I went to the LFS before getting to read any of the replies and decided to go with the store reps recommendation of starting out with zeolite for the first 30 days. After that, I'm not sure what I'm going to use.

Back
Top Bottom