Biggest and baddest canister filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Far from an eheim guy, but I was either going to get the FX5 or the eheim and went for the eheim. This was just a few months back-

2262- Classic series

2080- Professional

Far from an eheim guy, but I was either going to get the FX5 or the eheim and went for the eheim. This was just a few months back-

2262- Classic series

2080- Professional

I hear the pro series have many problems especially leaking. Is it true?

2071, 2073, and 2075 canister filters about 2+ years ago were having issues with leaks & was taken care of. The 2080 I never heard of a leak issues & so far I have mines running with no problems. If any leaks on the 2080, I will think it will be by not putting lube on all the seals & replacing when needed

Eheim Water Neutral Maintenance spray is what I use. Cost a pretty penny got mines for $18. To tell you the truth with how much i spent on everything else I didnt mind even after I got a cheaper silcone food graded spray. The reason why I bought the eheim one is that I don't want to find out that something in it that other lube killed the fish or is not good for that o-rings etc... etc...

Other use petroleum jelly but on some rubbers they can degrade them and the cost of buying a ring/sealed (Which you should always have on hand as a back up) or leaks

2071, 2073, and 2075 canister filters about 2+ years ago were having issues with leaks & was taken care of. The 2080 I never heard of a leak issues & so far I have mines running with no problems. If any leaks on the 2080, I will think it will be by not putting lube on all the seals & replacing when needed

Oh ok. Never knew that. Thanks. ;)

The FX5 is an awesome filter. It's huge, holds lots of media which is customizable. I have two on my 120 gallon but I have goldfish with use bio loads. But keeps water crystal and not that major to clean. I alternate one each month. With low bio loads you could go months between cleaning.

The FX5 is an awesome filter. It's huge, holds lots of media which is customizable. I have two on my 120 gallon but I have goldfish with use bio loads. But keeps water crystal and not that major to clean. I alternate one each month. With low bio loads you could go months between cleaning.

Wow! 2 fluval fx5s on a 120!!! That is really awesome and shocking! How many goldfish do you have and what kind?

Wow! 2 fluval fx5s on a 120!!! That is really awesome and shocking! How many goldfish do you have and what kind?

I have four single-tailed comets. Largest is over 5" not including tail.

Why shocking?

With media they only get around 565 gph. It's recommended to have between 7x-10x filtration with golds

Attachments

• image-2468338326.jpg
    image-2468338326.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 122
  • image-990277743.jpg
    image-990277743.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 119
I have four single-tailed comets. Largest is over 5" not including tail.

Why shocking?

With media they only get around 565 gph. It's recommended to have between 7x-10x filtration with golds

I know they need 10x filtration but I don't have a tank that big so I have never gotten a fluval fx5. So when I saw you had two on one tank, my jaw dropped open. Lol
Nice Goldie's btw.

I know they need 10x filtration but I don't have a tank that big so I have never gotten a fluval fx5. So when I saw you had two on one tank, my jaw dropped open. Lol
Nice Goldie's btw.

Well I started with a 10-gallon for a few months until I realized that was much too small. Upgraded to a 55 with a couple of HOBs until those couldn't keep up, so added an FX5 to the 55. When I upgraded to the 120 I just added another FX5 as I loved the first one.

What is really amazing is that having those two huge canisters u can't hear them at all.

Well I started with a 10-gallon for a few months until I realized that was much too small. Upgraded to a 55 with a couple of HOBs until those couldn't keep up, so added an FX5 to the 55. When I upgraded to the 120 I just added another FX5 as I loved the first one.

What is really amazing is that having those two huge canisters u can't hear them at all.

Wow. That means they are really really quiet. ;). Did you see the new fx6? It's getting more expensive and bigger everyday! Lol

What about a canister filter made for a pond.

The fx5 is actually more powerful than some. Canister filters for pond need a submersible pump. The canister itself doesn't pump water. The pump is really what decides how powerful your filter is.

Ooohhhhh...I see I didn't know they ran off a pump.

Yeah. He canister part is only for filtration. The good thing though is that you never have to change media. The only thing you need to do is clean out the media once in a while. In winter, you don't have to clean it at all if your using it outside! There are manual pumps that are two handles that you need to pull up and down to clean the media. It's really easy to clean. Just use the manual pump and let water flow out of the extra outflow for about 10 mins or less and its clean and new all over again.

Yeah. He canister part is only for filtration. The good thing though is that you never have to change media. The only thing you need to do is clean out the media once in a while. In winter, you don't have to clean it at all if your using it outside! There are manual pumps that are two handles that you need to pull up and down to clean the media. It's really easy to clean. Just use the manual pump and let water flow out of the extra outflow for about 10 mins or less and its clean and new all over again.

Oh cool so kinda like backflushing a pool.

Back
Top Bottom