Biggest and baddest canister filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Its always best to run 2 x canister filters

The fx5 isn't the best by a long shot you guys in the US only think its the best because its cheap nearly all you guys who big up the fx5 have never spent eheim money so have nothing to compare the fx5 with

The fx5 has its down sides it holds nearly no bio media for a filter that size its just a big massive sponge filter with lots of flow

Because it has so much flow it clogs up fast the pump draught is joke

The hoses are a joke anyone with a big tank should be running a UV good luck making one fit to the ribbed hose

If the fx5 is so great why have they made the fx6 which has just fixed a few issues the fx5 had

Move on fx5 fan boys the fx5 is no longer fluvals flagship filter

If you want a filter that will do a better job than the dx5 or fx6 and you don't mind spending money on a filter that will last a life time buy a eheim 2262

All we ever here is the fx5 fan boys saying how great it is they won't have a bad word said about it
What they forget to tell you is the tool box they need when cleaning it out
A filter you need a screw driver what ever next

Its always best to run 2 x canister filters

The fx5 isn't the best by a long shot you guys in the US only think its the best because its cheap nearly all you guys who big up the fx5 have never spent eheim money so have nothing to compare the fx5 with

The fx5 has its down sides it holds nearly no bio media for a filter that size its just a big massive sponge filter with lots of flow

Because it has so much flow it clogs up fast the pump draught is joke

The hoses are a joke anyone with a big tank should be running a UV good luck making one fit to the ribbed hose

If the fx5 is so great why have they made the fx6 which has just fixed a few issues the fx5 had

Move on fx5 fan boys the fx5 is no longer fluvals flagship filter

If you want a filter that will do a better job than the dx5 or fx6 and you don't mind spending money on a filter that will last a life time buy a eheim 2262

I dont even use fluvals. And ya i said to use at least two filters in my posts. I just said the fx5 because its a big filter i basically ment a filter within that size range.

Lets talk running costs

Yes the fx5 is cheap to buy but you can run 2 x 2262 for the same costs of running 1 x fx5

I agree with you about almost no bio media. All I saw was sponge, floss, and more sponge. Lol. I personally don't really like eheim as I have had problems with them before. I went with filstar too.

Lol t1karman. Sometimes I wonder if you're just an eheim sales guy caz you trash talk about fluvals every chance you get.

I know it is not the biggest or badest but I am partial to my eheim classis filters. No noise what so ever and with two of them I am able to do maintinance on one and leave the other for the next time. Doing one at a time keeps water crystal clear with excellent water conditions. Not bashing any others and I don't work for or sell eheim.

I keeed I keeeed I know eheim is the top dog but that's like saying if you don't own a Mercedes you suck!
I'm not a fluval die hard @ all, but I do run one (306), got it for $80 brand new (sale), and its doing an excellent job keeping the water crystal clear. Even if it does crap out next year, I got my money's worth.

Sorry don't own a mercedes , I drive a beat-up ford pickup. Please don't think I am putting any brand down and had no intention of trash talking because that is as far as can be from my intention when I posted.
Honestly when I set up my 50 gallon tank and knew little to nothing about a canister filter Eheim was one that everyone had liked so that is why I went that direction and really no other reason. When my 50 gallon started to leak at the seam and the wife says " go ahead and get a bigger tank if you want" my current filter was at it's maximum as far what it was rated for. I made the choice to go with another filter to match what I allready had with the thought if I kept everything the same it would make my maintinance on them easier instead if having two different types.

I do like a canister filter and this could be any brand since there is nothing with the exception of the suction tube and spray bar in the tank and nothing hanging off the back to see , I also went with inline heaters in order to get that out of sight. My tank is in my kitchen/dining area so I really wanted it to be more of a centerpiece and less clutter keeps the boss happy.

I have been pleased with this setup and would certainly go with a canister on my next tank reguardless of the brand.

I've decided to do 2 eheim 2262's. Thanks everyone for your help! And don't hate on fluvals so much jeez haha

You wasted no time that's for sure! (y)

Any reason not going for a sump?

My tanks not drilled out and I don't like the idea of the possibility of losing power and having an issue. Although that may be a myth? Also the cans are behind the tank so I fill the stand with aquarium stuff.

Got ya!

Megaflow Kit for vverflow wont give you that problem & what I have on mine. With the amount of things you can do to a sump its endless on what you can do. But yes, you do have to drilled the hole or have someone do it. Here they will do it for about $25 to drill the holes you need. Anyways, keep us posted on you beast!! (y)

I guess if your tanks tempered you can't? Plus its like 350 pounds and had to be fanagled into my house by me and a friend. Not easy or fun. Ha

I hear ya! I had to take the 150g up about a flight of stairs and very narrow. Tempered Glass is a no go for an overflow like the megaflow kit. You got two beats filters that for sure....

Back
Top Bottom