Bio-filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

midol

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey, how often should i clean my big filter?

When i did my 100% water change it had a load of carbon (I think it was carbon) and other gunky junk crap at the bottom, should i empty that crap out or leave it there? Caus' my water is starting to turn a faint yellowish, or does the colour change just mean water change time caus my water is perfectly healthy (Don't have the exact readings i took water to my fish shop).

8O Any reason for doing a 100% water change? It is very hard to maintain stability in a system with such large water changes. 15-20% every 2-3weeks is a much better schedule. Need more info...FW or SW tank? Size? Type of filtration?
should i empty that crap out or leave it there?
Where is it at? In a filter or on the substrate?
Caus' my water is starting to turn a faint yellowish,
Running some fresh GAC will ussually help with the discoloration.
caus my water is perfectly healthy (Don't have the exact readings i took water to my fish shop).
Water parameters would also be helpful. I would recommed getting a basic test kit for your own use at home. Any chance on posting current parameters?
Hey, how often should i clean my big filter?
What type of filter is it?

I shall go buy a test kit tomorrow :)

Umm, the water was way to dirty, had it cycling for 6 weeks and no improvement so i just did a 100% change (I get ocean water).

Umm, it is a 280L ~75gal (4ft x ~1.5ft x ~1.5ft) (Dont have a ruler on me)

The gunky crap builds up in the bottom of my filter, it is a Pro-Aqua CFD-1200.

SW tank.

I am getting my liverock soon but i am checking around as my local store charges $16 per kilo and i can get it for $8 per kilo over the net but i'd prefer a shop.

Also, something rather interesting... I found a lizard in my tank, no idea how he got in but he was swimming around quite happily (Well, he looked happy).

EDIT: I don't want to make a new thread but what lights would you recommend i get, i want to be able to keep basically everything as one day i might want some hard to keep corals and i don't want to have to go buy new lights. Also, if you can, throw me a rough $$$ value on the lights, salt water setups are very expensive!

EDIT2: My tank only has a flow of 2700LPH right now, in a 270L tank i don't feel that is enough as i have heard generally you want min of about 15x and some people prefer up to 30x, i was thinking of getting a 3000lph powerhead and that puts me at 21x, would you recommend i get that?

If this is a tank that is cycling, you need to figure out what is fouling your water. IT could just be diatoms, a normal part of the cycling process. What are you using to cycle your tank right now?
what lights would you recommend i get
Look at the Coralife 48in Aqualight or Aqualight Pro.
My tank only has a flow of 2700LPH right now, in a 270L tank i don't feel that is enough as i have heard generally you want min of about 15x
I agree you could use more flow but it will be more important when you begin to add corals.

I am using a prawn, i figured it'd do the same job as a shrimp.

It's coming up on, umm 4 weeks now since the 100% change.

What is your substrate? Once you post water parameters we will be able to tell how your cycly is coming.

Some sort of sand, i didn't check what it was before putting it in but i know it was damn expensive, i am getting some good play sand soon because it is only 2inch deep max.

Water specs will be here tomorrow arvo, well, today in about 15hrs since its 12.32am

Back
Top Bottom