Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-18-2005, 10:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Bio-wheel filter question

I am using a Penguin Bio-wheel 330 on my 30 gal tank. When I do my 10% water change every week I take out the filters and spray off all the brown gunk with the kitchen sink sprayer. Is this the correct way to do it? When the filters go back into the Bio-wheel they are saturated with tap water. I have never tested my tap water. Will this hurt any thing? Also, how often should I throw them away and put in new ones?

Old 10-19-2005, 06:52 AM   #2
JG
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have the magnum HOB 's on my tank. When I clean them, I just add a drop of dechlorinater to the unit before putting it back to work.

As for throwing the filters away, I would say probably every 2-3 weeks. The charcoal will become ineffective after a while.

You will also get mixed opinions on the bio-wheel in a salt tank. Some like them - some say they cause too much of a nitrate problem.

Old 10-19-2005, 07:08 AM   #3

You really want to use old SW to do this since the FW will kill the friendly bacteria.

KG
Old 10-19-2005, 10:37 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

I'll second KG's caution. If you're using tap water the chlorine and other elements found in the tap water will kill all the bacteria in your bio-wheel and the bacteria is the whole point of the bio-wheel .

IMO, what I would do is when you do your water change, drain off that 10% you're changing out into a bucket. Take the bio-wheel and swish it around in that bucket for a few seconds.

HTH
Old 10-19-2005, 11:57 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I did remove the wheels a couple months ago. From what I read most people were doing that. If I run carbon in a seperate bag do you think I could run the filters for longer time. I know this is a expensive hobby but I try to save where I can.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:18 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Bump..............sorry, just trying to get a answer from my last question.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:36 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

the concentration of the chlorine is not going to be high enough to kill anything by the time it reaches the biowheel.

yes adding more carbon would extend the life of the carbon in your cartrige but i think excessive amounts of carbon will strip some goods out of your water. not sure about that one.

oh and i have an emperor 280 on my stocked 15 gallon nano reef. it's got a massive biowheel and operates at 280 gallons per hour. i probably only have 10 lbs of LR and i have zero nitrates.
-convict blenny
-bubble coral
-clove polyps
-green hairy mushroom
-cleaner shrimp

pics
Genix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 10:18 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
I use 70 lbs of lr but love my HOB Magnum 350 as well that has two large bio wheels and keeps the tank very clear. I use AC for 2 weeks and then the micro polisher for 2 weeks but in the 8 years I’ve used Magnum I’ve never once had to clean or even rinse the bio wheel. The sleeve can be NO3 contributors if not properly cleaned/replaced and I feel the plastic mesh that holds the AC has small enough holes to keep anything large off my bio wheel so I just don’t use them.

I know that some people also keep lr rubble in the holder for additional lr filtration but if you have a decent amount in the tank then I would just use it for AC.

Also when I do clean by HOB (about 3 times a year) I use an old tooth brush and scrub everything off by hand using my old SW from the last pwc.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:59 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via MSN to Hollywood
I am kinda doing them same.

Well I have a very similar filter system and I do exactly would you are doing. I have been told though you should take out the bio-wheel things. I can't remember why but someone on this fourm told me to. I would like to here what someone say's about the tap water on the filter pad question cuse i dunno....
Old 10-21-2005, 12:22 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Re: I am kinda doing them same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood
I have been told though you should take out the bio-wheel things.
I just added the lr after curing for 5 weeks. I’ve read that the lr will accomplish the same bio filtering that the wheels do but until they have been in for a while I’m hesitant to remove the wheels as I have 0 NH3, NO2, & NO3 currently.

Some say they are NO3 factories but in the 8 years I’ve used them I haven’t seen it. But I am pretty diligent about doing 10% pwc each week and I’m also just fowlr and not doing a reef anytime soon.

Tags
bio, bio-wheel, eel, filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com