blacklight harmful??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

huma-huma

Aquarium Advice Addict
i currently have a planted 20g... i recently completed a DIY 2-bulb hood, one bulb being a 50/50 (for normal daytime use) and a smaller 18" blacklight (for night time use).. i noticed that some of my PLANTS have started to turn a brownish color and die.....is it possible that the blacklightcould be killing my plants??

Last edited:
negligent_inmate said:
i currently have a planted 20g... i recently completed a DIY 2-bulb hood, one bulb being a 50/50 (for normal daytime use) and a smaller 18" blacklight (for night time use).. i noticed that some of my PLANTS have started to turn a brownish color and die.....is it possible that the blacklightcould be killing my plants??

What kinda plants do u have? It's most probably because Ur plants can't use the light from both ur lights. But I'm not an expert with lights. I'll leave that to plant guru mfdrookie516 :)

To be honest, I know nothing about plants, I simply bought them to give some coverage. Imma do some research and get the plant names and put them up on here...

I don't think a blacklight will hurt anything... I'm pretty sure the sun emits the same color in some spectrum or another. I'd say the reason they're turning brown is from insufficient lighting. A 50/50 bulb only provides a little bit of usable light. I'd swap it out for a true daylight bulb (something in the 6500k-10,000k range). The wattage and type of bulb will have some play in what plants you can keep as well.

Im running a 24"florescent zoo-med reefsun 50/50 for my main light..and a GE 18"florescent blacklight blue 15w for my night light.....I just think I figured out what's causing the plants to die off....when I did the diy hood...I had to remove the white reflective background from behind my daytime bulb...and being that there s another bulb beside it now, I lost a good bit of brightness to the right side of my tank...where my plants are..looks like Imma be doing a led hood sooner than expected..

**update -i found an 18"florescent full spectrum bulb I had laying around, I've replaced my blacklight with it and im going to run both for 2 days or so and see what happens

Back
Top Bottom