broken support

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hartman57

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 90 gal acrylic wave tank, and while i was cleaning it last night, i broke the plastic support connecting the the front and back walls of the aquarium. I tried to put water in it but the walls seemed to be expanding leaving seperation between the broken part. i took all of the water out because i did not want the walls to cave. So i was wondering if this could be fixed or if i could remove the upper part of the tank (plastic border on top) and buy a new one. I really dont want to buy a new tank cause this one is only 2 years old. Also if it can be fixed, how do i go about doing it. thanks

Can you get a pic?
I would think since it's acrylic, and if the brace broke towrds the middle, you can just buy a piece of acrylic and use Weld-On to bond the new piece right over the broken piece.

the piece itself is not acrylic so I dont know if that would work. the piece that snapped seems to be plastic. it is the piece that stretchs between the back and front in the middle of the tank at the top. It stretches the width of the tank, and the lids sit on it. it definatly holds ther front and back walls together and adds support so the walls do not bow.

I've seen where some poeple cut out their center brace and replace it with acrylic. You don't have to cut the brace out, but what I've seen done was they cut out the brace but left about 2" on each end, got a piece of acrylic, drilled holes thru the acrylic and the remaining part of the brace and used nylon nuts/bolts to hold it in place.

Back
Top Bottom