Bulkheads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Todd

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am setting up a 150 Gallon AGA with 2 overflows(1200 GPH). I currently have a 40 gal. sump with a skimmer. My overflows have a 1" bulkhead for the sump and 3/4" for the return. I will be using a Mag Drive 18 for the return because I have almost 6' head height. Is the 1" bulkhead too much and will the return not be able to keep up. I noticed in my overflow kit, it has a universal bulkhead that is 3/4" Should I try it first and see and if it is too much replace it with the 3/4" or will this be O.K.?

@ 6' head height you'll get just over 1100 GPH back into the tank. Keep in mind the overflows will only pour into the sump what is pumped back into the tank. So as long as you don't exceed the overflows capacity, your all good.

Cheers
Steve

The overflow should always be larger than the return. As steve said the overflow will only remove water as fast as its pumped into the tank. Have a larger overflow gives you a greater removal capacity then return preventing the tank from overfilling. If you match them and you get the smallest build up in the overflow your tank will overfill.

Back
Top Bottom