Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-11-2005, 07:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Can I throw my Canister filter away In favor of a Refugium?

Hey all,Ive been doing a lot of reading about Refugiums and I see the benefits of it, but I have one question If I get a Refugium can I remove my canister filters all together? or will I still need them? also is there a specific size recommendation for different size tanks? ( I have a 75 gal)and should it be a Refugium/sump combo? on a side note I really think Im going to DIY with all the info on the net...I probably wont get it cheaper per say but look at the gained knowledge.

Old 09-12-2005, 11:28 AM   #2
steve-s

I wouldn't get rid of the canister, it can still be very useful when resin media is needed or if you have nowhere else to run carbon. They are also very good for added water flow. Other than that, just be sure you have enough water flow through the tank without it. What is your main source of nitrification?

Cheers
Steve
Old 09-13-2005, 08:43 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well, I have two canisters that are going to be running and the sump/refugium combo I will be making only needs a compartment big enough to put a bag of carbon or any other media.
my thought on this is when I build it,Im going to build the weir to the sump under the main tank,It will go somthing like this- water inlet in the left rear corner with holes drilled with some live rock to diffuse bubbles then a over/under break with foam over the top to the Refugium over the top to carbon compartment or med room if you will then its over the top top the pump room and back to the tank...If you can picture that, Im starting this project this weekend so if anyone see's a flaw with my design please by all means speak up... by the way the dimensions will be approx 30"L x 16"W x14"H that will leave me enough room under there for the single canister... what do you think...
Old 09-13-2005, 10:39 PM   #4
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefbound
Well, I have two canisters that are going to be running
Hopefully not as part of the plumbing for the sump/return line.

Quote:
and the sump/refugium combo I will be making only needs a compartment big enough to put a bag of carbon or any other media.
Why not just use the canister filter?

Quote:
my thought on this is when I build it,Im going to build the weir to the sump under the main tank,It will go somthing like this- water inlet in the left rear corner with holes drilled with some live rock to diffuse bubbles then a over/under break with foam over the top to the Refugium over the top to carbon compartment or med room if you will then its over the top top the pump room and back to the tank...If you can picture that,
Trying...

Something similar to this...? http://melevsreef.com/what_sump.html

Cheers
Steve
Old 09-14-2005, 05:00 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-s
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefbound
Well, I have two canisters that are going to be running
Hopefully not as part of the plumbing for the sump/return line.

Quote:
and the sump/refugium combo I will be making only needs a compartment big enough to put a bag of carbon or any other media.
Why not just use the canister filter?

Quote:
my thought on this is when I build it,Im going to build the weir to the sump under the main tank,It will go somthing like this- water inlet in the left rear corner with holes drilled with some live rock to diffuse bubbles then a over/under break with foam over the top to the Refugium over the top to carbon compartment or med room if you will then its over the top top the pump room and back to the tank...If you can picture that,
Trying...

Something similar to this...? http://melevsreef.com/what_sump.html

Cheers
Steve
The answer to your first quote is no,its not in line with the sump,both are separate.

Second, I can do that,but I was looking at removing both canisters,If the refugium has all of the bacteria and other stuff why would I still need a canister filter,Unless Im misunderstanding what a Refugium is...

And last, Thats the site where I got the idea to build my own weir and sump/refugium,very informative place
Old 09-14-2005, 12:56 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to pelochas Send a message via Yahoo to pelochas
there is good bacteria and bad bacteria

a refugium that cares of all the bad things and provides many good things that you dont want to be filtered out by a canister or protein skimmer filter
Old 09-14-2005, 03:18 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelochas
there is good bacteria and bad bacteria

a refugium that cares of all the bad things and provides many good things that you dont want to be filtered out by a canister or protein skimmer filter
So what you are saying is what I believe,I can unplug my canisters? Because the live rock and sand and all of thegood and bad will be filtered by the Refugium... right or wrong... If you look around at all the pics of tanks with refugiums and sumps all you see is a protein skimmer and nothing else...
Old 09-14-2005, 03:58 PM   #8
steve-s

The refugium is a great resource but it should not be relied upon as your biological area. It should be addition to an already strongly functioning ecosystem. The biological process is best accomplished in the main tank. If you have a decent amount of LR/sand in the main display, the canisters are of no use. If you only have sand in the main or a small amount of rock, I would keep the canisters.

Cheers
Steve
Old 09-14-2005, 05:14 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-s
The refugium is a great resource but it should not be relied upon as your biological area. It should be addition to an already strongly functioning ecosystem. The biological process is best accomplished in the main tank. If you have a decent amount of LR/sand in the main display, the canisters are of no use. If you only have sand in the main or a small amount of rock, I would keep the canisters.

Cheers
Steve

Hey Steve, thanks for the reply, I have a 75 gal tank with 40lbs of live sand,I have 80lbs of live rock on the way, There is a hob coralife protein skimmer rated for a 125 gal tank,and my two canister filters a Rena filstar and a Fluval 303...and Im going to add my weir and Im making the sump /refugium this weekend with about another 10 or 15 lbs of sand and a few more lbs of LR for the refugium...with that said I would like to remove the Rena can and Fluval, The sump combo's dimensions are going to be 30"L x 16"W x14H most of that will be for the sand and LR...
Old 09-15-2005, 11:14 AM   #10
steve-s

You should be okay with that, it really depends on the waste producing bioload. Ideally, you want about 125-150 lb of rock for a tank that size. There also it will depend on the density and pourosity of the rock.

Just remember that with the removal of the canisters, you are also removing some of the water flow so be sure to augment that with powerheads or the appropriate return flow from the sump. That will depend on what the overflow can handle.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
canister, canister filter, filter, refugium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com