Canister vs. HoB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Readingexcalibur

Aquarium Advice Addict
Running a 55g tank with an eheim 2217 (great filter, low gph rate) My tank has roughly 60" of head pressure.

Should I buy the Rena xp3 at 350gph max (max 63" head)

Or

Should I buy an aquaclear 110 HOB at 500gph (no head pressure)

My thought process is, the head pressure is going to drop the xp3 GPH a ton... So, in turn, I'll get better filtration out of the aquaclear HoB rather a canister!?!?

Ideas?

Attachments

• image-3704399817.jpg
    image-3704399817.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 83
My favorite filters ever are the Rena XPs. Nothing against the Eheim, they're the most durable canisters around, but the Rana's have powerful flow even under head pressure and are so insanely easy to service.

Well, I got scared with the head pressure rating, so I went with the AC110. Things is huge. Using a pad, bio balls, and ceramic rings in it. Thanks for the response coraline!!

The bioballs add very little, if any, to the overall biological filtration if completely submerged. Good choice with the AC.

Terrance said:
The bioballs add very little, if any, to the overall biological filtration if completely submerged. Good choice with the AC.

Good catch, Terrance. Ceramic rings blow bioballs away in submerged applications.

Thanks guys for the info, I'll remove the bio balls and replace with ceramic bio rings. Plus the bio balls do take up allot of space.

In summary, I am running the AC 110, and old AC 20 I had lying around and a ehiem 2217 (which has little flow do to the head pressure).

Funny, I went on CL and posted an ad for the xp3-4. Had a guy offer two new in the box xp3 units at 100$. May still grab it and go crazy on the tank haha, got the AC110 at 75$ on sale at petsmart..

Back
Top Bottom