Sick of canister filters.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reygan2

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have 2 Eheim 2217’s on my 75g goldfish tank. They are in the cabinet under the tank and they are simply too irritating to remove and clean. I’m also running an AC 110 on this tank. I want to sell the Eheim’s and add another AC 70, which should pump roughly 800 gph. Honestly, I clean those Eheim’s no more than once or twice a year. Terrible, I know.
Dumb move?

If you don't like them then yeah go for out, I prefer HOB type, easier to clean and that helps w goldfish maintenance

I don't blame you, I got sick of them too. You could keep one, load it with bio and put a sponge on the intake. You really won't have to clean it but once a year of that. I havnt looked at mine since I did. Then run floss in the hob to polish water.

I don't blame you, I got sick of them too. You could keep one, load it with bio and put a sponge on the intake. You really won't have to clean it but once a year of that. I havnt looked at mine since I did. Then run floss in the hob to polish water.

That’s a good idea.
One issue I’m having now is the flow on that 110. Even on the lowest setting, my fish all stay on the opposite side of the tank. I’ve read about buffering the flow, but I can’t find any of those plastic strips they’re talking about and I’m really not sure how to go about doing it. I need tons of filtration, but my fish need a calm tank. Any suggestions?

That’s a good idea.
One issue I’m having now is the flow on that 110. Even on the lowest setting, my fish all stay on the opposite side of the tank. I’ve read about buffering the flow, but I can’t find any of those plastic strips they’re talking about and I’m really not sure how to go about doing it. I need tons of filtration, but my fish need a calm tank. Any suggestions?

SUMP! with multiple returns to reduce a single point source of high flow

SUMP! with multiple returns to reduce a single point source of high flow

Boom !
If you are not interested in a sump then welcome to the reasonable choice of HOBs..
I wouldn't use a canister on a tank that needed frequent cleanings ..Too much trouble ,which is why most only clean theirs every 3-4 months ?

I have many tanks ,a couple sumps and over 30 aquaclears ..NO canisters...

Shut up everyone.. no one is doing a sump here.. gosh... (sump would be the way to go, get those plastic filing cabinets and make a trickle down wet/dry!)

Go for it! I couldn't stand them either. I always had to get my husband to help me break the seal on the fluval 404. It got old quick and then I just wouldn't clean it.

Calm tank??? Push the ac110 all the way to the left side. Assuming you're going to do exactly as I suggested because I'm the only person on the internet worth listening too.. take the canister return and point it at an angle on the back glass (one foot off corner) towards the front left corner. Place intake on opposite end. This should get the poo going left and create a nice chill zone in the middle of the tank. If there are dead spots consider small power heads to move the poo. You can do a lot more with 2 well placed power heads than you can with over filtering

I started with sump on my 125. First a DIY, then actual acrylic wet dry sump forgot which brand. Transparent overflow box was getting grimy really fast, I couldn't make the downflow silent no matter what I tried, scale that developed on the heaters in the pump compartment ended up as particles in the tank. The only thing I liked about it is the spraybar outflow.
Ditched that and got pair of AC110 and forgot about filter problems.

I honestly don't get your complaint about canisters. When they don't leak (had a mishap with a brand new Rena) I'm not sure how it can get any better. Strong filtration, inaudible, all the stuffout of view / inline for cleanest tank look. Cleaning? I only cleaned when the flow started to slow down, which means 3-6 month. Love my fluval 306. What else can one ask for aside of surface skimming attachment?

ADD: eventually I'm considering getting FX6 for the 125gal, if anyone has an idea of fair trade I have pair of AC110 towards it

Calm tank??? Push the ac110 all the way to the left side. Assuming you're going to do exactly as I suggested because I'm the only person on the internet worth listening too.. take the canister return and point it at an angle on the back glass (one foot off corner) towards the front left corner. Place intake on opposite end. This should get the poo going left and create a nice chill zone in the middle of the tank. If there are dead spots consider small power heads to move the poo. You can do a lot more with 2 well placed power heads than you can with over filtering

This must be my lucky day.

AC is already on the left. So, pardon the incoming stupid questions...does this plan include removal of the spray bar? And putting the sponge on the intake so I won’t have to clean it out hardly ever?? Yes, I’m really that clueless.

I honestly don't get your complaint about canisters. When they don't leak (had a mishap with a brand new Rena) I'm not sure how it can get any better. Strong filtration, inaudible, all the stuffout of view / inline for cleanest tank look. Cleaning? I only cleaned when the flow started to slow down, which means 3-6 month. Love my fluval 306. What else can one ask for aside of surface skimming attachment?

They worked out great for my tropical tank, but goldfish are messier. I have to feed more, and they are poop machines. The gunk that collects in the canisters now would affect my water quality if I didn´t clean them pretty frequently. I had no idea fancies were so sensitive. You are correct, canisters are amazing for all the reasons you mentioned, but I don´t think they are a good fit for goldfish tanks from what I´ve learned since switching.

I just took down my Sun Sun canister after running it for a year. Started leaking after cleaning it today. Probably a worn seal but not worth damaging wooden flooring. Packed that bad boy up and picked up an AC50 tonight just before the pet store closed. I may add a second one later (it’s on a 29g).

I have an AC 70 lying around that I planned to use with the 110, but it won’t fit on the tank. The rim on the tank is too big and the filter can’t sit right. I’d go ahead and get another 110, but I haven’t resolved the flow issue on the one that’s running now. My fish all have long, flowing fins and they do not like all the movement. The tank is planted, so I need some movement to prevent dead spots. Also, I need surface movement for oxygen exchange. I like Brooksters idea of using well placed circ pumps, but again, not sure how to pull that off without blowing the fish around. I’m tired of them all staying on one side of the tank.
I’m probably overstocked, so I do at least 80% water changes every week. I think I’ll be fine with the AC 110 and maybe one canister? Ugh..I don’t even want to deal with one. Or maybe go ahead and get a second 110? Or trim the rim on the tank so the AC 70 will fit?

You could try a traditional powerhead (with the nozzle output) and connect it to a spray bar. Position the spray bar near the surface and direct the flow slightly upward for surface movement. It should not disturb the main area of the water column.
Or use the same powerhead/spray bar combo and place the spray bar along the back wall along the bottom and point the flow upward. Basically the same effect as a long air stone but without the bubbles. This should help with dead spots without affecting the fish too much.

So far I haven´t accomplished very much. I removed one of the canisters, and bought a new AC 110. It´s been running for 2 days, and the noise is irritating. I bought a new AC 70 to put on my 36 bow, and it is nearly silent, as is the other 70 running on it. My older 110 has quietened over time, but it´s still too noisy. Guess I´ll have to live with it.

I understand the pain it is to clean canister filters. I have three on my other tanks. However, I ditched the canisters on my 125G (had sufficient room behind the tank) and replaced them with two AC110s.

Tank has been running with them for about three years with no fish fatalities. I have a football size Oscar (grow out from 1"), two large Silver Dollars, and an 8" Frontosa.

I have an extra foam filter for the AC110s. Once a month, I pull out the dirty sponge on one of the HOBs, insert clean sponge, place bio bag on top and that's it. I clean the dirty sponge, and a week later I do the same for the other AC110.

If I had room behind my 150G and 75G, I would ditch the canisters for them as well.

That’s your personal preference and nothing wrong with that.
My opinion is anything over a 75 gallon especially if they house aAFRICAN CICHLIDS CANIISTER are they way to go. You have much more choices as far as media goes to customize anyway you want.
Having said that they are not for everyone and don’t need cleaning nearly as often.

Back
Top Bottom