Canister vs HOB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I ran one on a 29 for a while. It's got a good flow rate but I was supremely disappointed with the rigidity of the plumbing. I prefer to have my intake strainer close to the bottom, and the outflow lower than what is allowed by the filter. There's probably a way to extend the Intake, but the outflow is fixed. Quiet yes, but ultimately I opted to decommission it. I think I might set it back up on my 20 long though.

How do I view the HOT filter? It takes me to where I can leave a message instead.

Sent from my Android with one arm in the tank.

Found it... ...though it looks like a bit of extra mess to me. I'm also not exactly a fan of Marineland.

With a 29 you dont really need the canister. I think they are great for large tanks, but since you like and prefer the HOB filters, why not stick with what you have? No need to spend money if everything is working now, right?

I agree, it's not needed on such a small tank. That being said, I have a canister for my 10 gallon tank. It's just so quiet!

With a 29 you dont really need the canister. No need to spend money if everything is working now, right?

...except for having to replace the filter every three months because the pump wears out...

...except for having to replace the filter every three months because the pump wears out...

Which pumps are having such a high failure rate? Just curious.
I'm thinking of switching from the pair of AC50s on my 20g long planted tank to a sunsun 403B. Mostly for the inline CO2 reactor. I like the HOBs but the evap rate is high and I would like to improve my current CO2 injection method.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Who says canisters on small tanks arnt good?? I'm about to slap a finnex 360 on my 5.5 gal:)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That a sunsun?

I had a AC70 and loved it on my 36g. It kept the water super clear. I knew I was goin to eventually upgrade to a bigger tank and started looking for a canister. Found a used Ehiem for an awesome deal. I was able to put all the media in the 70 into the eheim for an instant cycle...haven't regretted retiring the 70 yet. IMHO..you can't beat a canister. As for cleaning...not a problem...

I keep seeing these Sunsun 60X cans with built-in UV sterilizers for less than ths regular pump. Since I don't have a need for a UV light just yet, can I remove/replace the bulb with a "regular" light? Also, can I move the pump to after the can on this series?

Dude.. why reinvent the wheel? ? What benefit would a "regular" light provide? And. .. why move the pump?

Why move the pump? Read up the thread, dude. The pump on the Sunsun 60x series is before the filter, and I have sand, which is hard on pumps. Is it wrong to want to protect the pump?

Also as noted, I'm seeing these pumps with UV sterilizers for less than the non-UV equipped models, but I don't want to use UV sterilization. The purpose of the "regular" light is mostly to protect the electronic ballast. (If it's reactive, I may leave the socket empty) An empty socket/wasted bulb is the fastest way to destroy an electronic ballast.

Fair enough, I'd just try to protect the pump with a mesh screen in the intake? The uv is switched so wouldn't just leaving it off and empty be ok?

Back
Top Bottom