Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-29-2010, 08:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Carbon Filtration Pack is a Mystery

Filter Question Hagen Elite Hush 5 Hang On Filter
Just got this and am more pleased than expected.

I think I know what to do about the foam replacement pads (change as seldom as possible and until then rinse in old tank water when absolutely necessary).

However the Carbon Filtration pack is a mystery. Do I replace it every two - 4 weeks? I read somewhere that NOT replacing carbon filters often enough actually produces a toxin more harmful than the toxins carbon would filter out to begin with.

Can anyone clarify this for me?

Thanks

Old 06-29-2010, 09:50 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nope. Once stuff goes in carbon it doesn't ever come out until you toss it into the fiery pits of Mt. Doom. I would just toss that stuff after it's spent and make room for more filter material.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:21 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crepe View Post
Nope. Once stuff goes in carbon it doesn't ever come out until you toss it into the fiery pits of Mt. Doom. I would just toss that stuff after it's spent and make room for more filter material.
Thanks, yes good idea, the thought crossed my mind, but do I just stuff sponge or foam or something in there without cramming, or try to custom fit.

Also, picture a 1/2 bucket cut cross sectioned vertically. Toss the front half and that is what the area looks like. However, the filter slides in vertically creating a perfect wall and the rest is pure water, which is what you prime on start up.... do you think that matters whether water or foam material?
Old 06-30-2010, 10:13 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I only run carbon if I'm trying to remove medicine or tannins from the water.

Buy the filter sponge for a canister and cut it to fit. It works well.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:09 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Any filter you buy should come with exact instructions. If the instructions don't make sense or you are confused, you should go to the website for info. If you still can't find any information, go to the Contact number and call them. Or call a dealer the sells the type of filter you bought. A filter that is not correctly assembled and do more harm than good, so make sure you have it set up correctly.

Tags
carbon, filtration

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com