Foaming water issues and what to try

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
Hello,

It seems there are a few possibilities.

Rinsing the substrate until the water runs clear if a good idea in many substrates. Some brands have BB type bacteria already in them and do say not to rinse them, and some contain a packet of clarifier.

Sometimes the sediment and scum could have stuff. I feel like it could be diatoms (dead and causing some kind of foaming from proteins, no scientific back, up just a thought).

There have been several times playing with the kids sand in a sand box setting, or in rinsing construction sand I have had loads of mucky, silty, foamy bubbles.

Also Chemical additives can add foam in the tank. I think it is Stress Coat which is a big bubbling foamer.

Did you use ammonia with a foaming agent in the tank?

Any cleaners?

Any other things which you might have added?

Any foods, chemicals?

Not rinsed plants or decor?

Starting again by rinsing the substrate and tank out if you didn't do it in the beginning.

You might try a flocculating agent, like
Caribsea BioMagnet Clarifier for Aquarium, Seachem Clarity or API Accu-Clear. These clump the fine particles and help make it easier to trap them in a filter pad.

A fine finishing pad is great to trap this. I use these in different sizes, also buy on clearance if I ever see them in any size :) Can cut to fit.
Fluval fine filter water polishing pad Many brands available.
https://www.chewy.com/fluval-fine-filter-water-polishing/dp/131443

Activated carbon might help. It is only good for a few to several days.
Maybe up to 7-10 when used in a fish tank for removing tannins or odors, for bigger type things like medications or maybe this unknown additive maybe good for only a few days, so I would buy enough for a few rounds of 3-5 days each as it removes the undesirable ingredients it loses its usefulness and needs to be replaced.

In talking to a sand blasting media supplier, he mentioned that the rocks or sand can sometimes go through a rinsing process. Which might have additives in it, like cleaners (I was shocked), and also why it is a very good idea to rinse any of out. This may be less of a concern when the substrate is created for aquarium use specifically.

And I also like Seachem Purigen.
https://www.seachem.com/purigen.php

A paper towel can grab up some of the foamy scum. Making it a bit damp can help too.

Oily film is a different story which often needs more tank water surface agitation. Paper towel helps though too.

Anyone else have any helps for this issue?

Last edited:
So when I did a complete water change I took out all of my sand too, just because I was worried that the sand could have any remnants of the dead snail. As for the stress coats I've been using it for 4 months and have never had such thick foam before, I have had little bubbles that sit at the top but I've never had such a big ball of foam sit at the top. I haven't added anything new to the tank, and for food they eat whole worms so I don't have to worry about excess food that sits in my tank. But I can try the things you've linked and see if that can help me!

Back
Top Bottom