Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-15-2010, 12:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Changing Bulb Frequency

Looking for some advice on how often the following have to be replaced:

- power compact lights (coralife)
- HOT5

I recently swapped out a "Powerglow" bulb for a new "Colormax" bulb in my HO system. The bulb only has a very slight tint of pink to it when it is on. A regular T5 colormax appears very pink when on. Could the new bulb be defective or is it supposed to look that way?

bbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 02:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Different manufacturers will have slight variations in color rendering. You also cannot compare a 6 month old lamp to a brand new lamp, as the color tends to shift toward the red spectrum over time (at least from what I've read) which is why it is suggested to replace your lamps every 12 months for FW planted and every 6 months for SW reef. At least I think that's what is suggested. I don't think the bulb type makes a great deal of difference when talking T5HO versus PL (power compact). Metal Halide could be different, and I'm not knowledgeable in that aspect.

I know that my T8 Max Plant Growth lamps are noticeably redder after over a year of use and they really need to be replaced...just don't have it in the budget right now.

My tanks: 120 Reef w/L2 Algae Scrubber, 60 Reef Pond w/floating Algae Scrubber, 40 Breeder Reef w/L2 UAS Tester Algae Scrubber
I maintain: 144 SW Reef w/L2 Algae Scrubber | 200 SW Reef w/L4 Algae Scrubber
Special knowledge: Algae Scrubbers, Acrylic Fabrication
Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 03:05 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

PC every 6 - 9 months
T5 can go 12 - 18 months
MH every year for high quality brand names, every 3 -6 months for the cheap chinese ones found on eBay.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

bulb, changing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com