Changing bulbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alexis.Nunez

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Okay I have a different kind of lighting question. I'm a noob when it comes to aquariums but I just acquired a 90 gal tank with a coralife 2 x 150 HQI MH. The bulbs still work perfically fine but i was told that the bulbs are almost 3 years old and they NEED to be changed.

Why? What do new bulbs do the old working bulbs don't?

Thanks

you have to change them.... they won't put out the same spectrum...... i think MH's say they should be replaced 12-15 months.

I agree, change them out...especially if you plan on keeping coral. When the spectrum shifts there is a chance it can cause more algae growth.

I agree. Not sure what the time frame is but I know it`s not 3 yrs. Also moving this to General hardware and equipment discussion.

It's sort of like having to change the oil in your car after X amount of miles. The coatings and filament (like the oil in the car) break down after time.... sort of like when you get old and your joints start getting sore ;).

Better to spend the money on the bulbs than to start having problems with your tank and wonder what is going on.

It's sort of like having to change the oil in your car after X amount of miles. The coatings and filament (like the oil in the car) break down after time.... sort of like when you get old and your joints start getting sore ;).

Better to spend the money on the bulbs than to start having problems with your tank and wonder what is going on.
nice comparison there jp, lol

Back
Top Bottom