Changing the filter Cartridge on my eclipse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swanandmokashi

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I want to change the Cartridge on my bio-wheel type eclipse aquarium. it looks pretty dirty :) How do I do it ? as in will I lose the bacterias if I change the Cartridge or are they also on the bio-wheel? should i squeeze the Cartridge in my tank ?

also, how often should the cartridge be changed? I found dealers say :change every 4-6 weeks ..seems too much to me ..opinions?

Yes, you will lose some of the bacteria, but if you have a biowheel also, this is the main culturing area for the bacteria (along with the surfaces in your tank where bacterial films grow). Changing the filter media, then, shouldn't be a problem.

I find that I usually rinse out the media a few times before I throw it away. If it looks dirty, the dirt can usually be rinsed out; if it is actually not allowing the water through, then you need to change it (once every 1-3 months IME).

i use my hose. if that doesnt work i use my power washer (never hadf to use it yet) the hose really gets the gunk out. and ive been using the same ones for like 3 months now i think.

personally i keep 2 going at all times. one going in the filter in the tank the other one being soaked in a bucket to get the deep stuff out (after i spray it with the hose)

right now instead of a bucket im using the dirty ones to help cycle my 29 gallon. and when their done in there i spray em and put em back in the filter

I would just rinse it in a bucket of used tank water a few times. If you find that flow is limited, even after a rinsing, then it's time for a new cartridge.

I change my cartridge about onver every 4 weeks, or unless it's srestricting some water flow.

Don't worry about losing bacteria. You have a bio-wheel so you have nothing to be worried about.

Just change the blue and black cartridge piece, not the bio-wheel.

HTH

If you use a high pressure source of water, You should be able to keep a filtration cartrigate for a long, LONG time.

I don't run eclipse's, but the same applies to everything... I have filters that I havn't replaced in six months or more. I just rinse them weekly under a strong jet of water

If you don't want to keep buying cartridges and are thrift. You can try this diy setup(pic below sorry web cam used). I read about it somewhere. I can not find the website or what forum I got it from so I am unsure of who to give credit. Instead of buying the filter cartridge you get a foam filter (0.70 to 0.99 cents) and filter floss( around $3.00). Cut the materials to size and place as shown. I have only used it for about a week. The flow is about the same as the regular filter if you leave in the bio-wheel. My betta swam in the the filter output so I decided to place floss in the bio-wheel compartment to block the outlet to keep her from swimming in. When it gets to the point that I need to clean it. I will rinse the foam to get the large debr out. Get rid of the floss number one and move the floss number two between the foam.(will this help keep the bacterica?) Then add more floss to the bio-wheel compartment.

Back
Top Bottom