Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-07-2009, 09:21 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

cleaning test kit?

i have an api mater test kit. how do guys clean the test tubes?

Old 11-07-2009, 09:38 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I usually rinse the tubes out immediately after testing and let them air dry before storing them. To clean the build up out of them, I twist the end of a paper towel until it fits into the tube, after it's in the tube all the way, i'll twist it around till all the build up is gone.

I'm sure there are devices out there that are more specific for the job, but the above works for me. Be careful not to put to much pressure on the tube as they are thin glass and will easily break.

Old 11-07-2009, 01:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

one thing i do, its wierd i guess, is i rinse them, then use a brush made for cleaning filter tubes that i trimmed down to fit , then rinse again, store them and use them for something else next time... so if i use it for ammonia this week, ill use it for nitrate next week...

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 01:25 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

these all sound like good ideas i used rinsed them shook out some of the water then let them air dry. i would be worried that paper towel might leave some paper behind and that might affect the ph reading or something.
Old 11-07-2009, 02:29 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

A good rinse after cleaning them, and allowing them to air dry will get rid of any residual lint left in them
Old 11-07-2009, 03:29 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
one thing i do, its wierd i guess, is i rinse them, then use a brush made for cleaning filter tubes that i trimmed down to fit , then rinse again, store them and use them for something else next time... so if i use it for ammonia this week, ill use it for nitrate next week...
+1

Tags
clean, cleaning, test, test kit

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com