Considering a hugely oversized sump/refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

don_chuwish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello,

I could use a bit of advice here. I've been looking into a sump/refugium solution that will allow me to finally ditch the Fluval 305 on my 36G reef tank. But I also know that someday we'll be upgrading to a larger tank. So anything I buy & setup now I wan't to be able to use with the larger tank.
I'm looking at this on ebay: 150 Gallon Refugium for a non-drilled tank aquarium with dual filter socks | eBay

Any reason I can't just slow the flow from that return pump to an appropriate level for my little 36G tank? Would the dual overflows still work OK?

Thanks!

Be careful with those sumps it says 150 gallon but it's really a 25 gallon sump (30x12x16= 24.94 gal) world.com/encyanimal-clo/information/calculate.htm

Better to buy a 55 gallon tank at petco's $ 1 a gallon tank sale and get an after market HOB overflow, return pump and hose's then make your own sump cost way less
Return flow will be based on the head loss on your return pump

Yeah I understand that they mean it's sized for a 150G display tank, not being 150G itself. I'm just not sure the included pump and overflow will be suitable to my little 36G tank. I may just go with a DIY out of a cheap 10G or 15G tank. The price tag on that thing is a bit much right now. Thanks.

A 15 would be small on anything larger then you got now. If you want something that could be used for a large system I agree that you should DIY out of a 55. Maybe even a 40 breeder which are nice since to center brace

Back
Top Bottom