Convenient RO/DI?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

uscamaro

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is there such a unit where I can hook it up to my hose/faucet when I need water, let it fill a 5gal bucket for the sump, then store the unit until next time?

I've been doing tons of research on RO/DI units and can't seem to find any articles that answer this question, they all seem to be a permanent fixture in homes/on tanks.

*if you notice I have a lot of random questions it's because, I work grave, and have internet access* learn learn learn!

No, the process is too slow to do that and that is why you keep it running all the time on a good sized reservoir. You could do that with just DI, but the cost of going through DI so fast would make it far from worth it.

There are RO/DI units that tap into the water line under the sink. Those are probably the most hideable units I've seen. The RO/DI process takes time. Even a 5g bucket would take an hour to fill with most units.

I would recommend against running a RO/DI into a reservoir "all the time", even if you have an automatic shut-off or other overflow protection. The reason is that when you have a regular full flow over your RO membrane, everything is fine. When you start to slow down that flow, either by way of filling a pressure holding tank or by a float valve, when the water stops the dissolved solids (that can get through) will have more time and opportunity to get past the membrane, and you will end up with high TDS water on the 'clean' side. If you don't flush this out before running it through your DI, you'll burn out your DI a lot faster. So my recommendation on RO/DI is only use it when you need it, run it full-flow ONLY, and ALWAYS run about 1 gallon out of the the RO 'clean' side before running it through your DI.

In my home system, which has 2 pressure tanks and a 25 GPD membrane, my TDS out of the sink tap is over 300 because we only use about 1/2 gallon in one shot, and with 2 4 gallon tanks, the 'clean' side flow is just a trickle compared it if they're both empty, so the low flow allows more time for DS to get by.

I verified that this is the case by having a long discussion with someone who has been in the RO industry for over 20 years.

I've been using the Typhoon III for 6 years. When I need to make some RODI water I put the unit on the kitchen counter and hook it up to the kitchen faucet. I remove the faucet aerator and screw in a garden hose adapter. The RODI unit connects to that. I run it overnight when making top off water in my 45 gallon reservoir and for about 4 hours when making my 25 gallon PWC water.

I changed to the 150gpd membrane earlier this year and use a booster pump to get the pressure up to 70 psi.

Reverse Osmosis Aquarium Water Quality: Maxxima RO/DI Units

This is the one I use. Hooks right up to a water hose and I make my water out in my tool shed. I have it hooked on the wall and make water when ever I need to. I make it in a 5 gallon jug in a rubber maid tote just in case the jug runs over. It`s pretty convienient to me.

I think this is exactly what I am looking for! I just have a small house & yard and I don't really have a place for it inside. Could I just bring this thing to my backyard, hook it up, get the 5g of water, and store the unit in the garage?

I basically do that except I leave mine in the tool shed. Make water everytime I need to.

Back
Top Bottom