Could I get some heater help please?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kiskadden

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am just getting together my first fresh water tank set up and I really don't understand a lot about heaters. I want to make sure I get something correct and that can do what I need it to. I was hoping that someone could point me to what I should be looking for heater-wise... I am not even sure what info you all need to know to help me.

-I am going to try to set up a 5 gallon planted betta tank with (maybe) some rili shrimp and an apple snail.

-I have read that bettas and apple snails like 76-82F and that rili shrimp like 68-78F... which means that the tank will have to be 76-78F right?

-My house usually hovers around 65F.... sometimes a little warmer during the summer and way colder during the winter though we try to keep it 65F.

How do I know if a heater can heat it up 12 degrees? Could I find a heater that could heat up my tank to 82F in case of an Ich outbreak? (Am I being paranoid about that?) :ermm:

Any thoughts and/or ideas would be much welcome. Thanks. :thanks:

There are certain heaters that run on a timer basis, but those can be more expensive. If you find the tank is a little colder than you need at night or during winter, I suggest having just a standard small heater that you run for that cold period until it's optimum temperature again. Like, I have a 75Watt heater in my 40gallon, but since we keep the house so warm it only goes on during the night and doesn't need to be a really high Watt to do the job. Hope this helps?

I bought an Yager fheater from drfostersandsmith.com that allows you to calibrate the temp. You turn the dial to the room temp and then set the temp you want the water to stay. Works great. I have an thermometer to keep a check on it and it always keeps the temp perfect at 77 degrees. The max temp is around 100 if I am remembering right. I will have to check that though. got it on sale for around $16. You can find just about any kind of heater on Amazon for cheap. I got one a couple of weeks ago for $12 shipped. It is adjustable and has a built in thermometer. I needed something quick because the one in that tank died. So far it is working great. I started out with an none adjustable tetra heater. I will never buy one of those again. It is nice to be able to adjust the temp as needed.

Aquarium Heaters: Eheim Jager Thermostat Heater at Drs. Foster and Smith

Thank you both! I will check into both the heater you linked wildroseofky and maybe a timer based one mouth-brooder. I do sometimes feel lost about all of this before I even attempt it, but being directed to something I can read about helps! (y)

I bought an Yager fheater from drfostersandsmith.com that allows you to calibrate the temp. You turn the dial to the room temp and then set the temp you want the water to stay. Works great. I have an thermometer to keep a check on it and it always keeps the temp perfect at 77 degrees. The max temp is around 100 if I am remembering right. I will have to check that though. got it on sale for around $16. You can find just about any kind of heater on Amazon for cheap. I got one a couple of weeks ago for $12 shipped. It is adjustable and has a built in thermometer. I needed something quick because the one in that tank died. So far it is working great. I started out with an none adjustable tetra heater. I will never buy one of those again. It is nice to be able to adjust the temp as needed.

Aquarium Heaters: Eheim Jager Thermostat Heater at Drs. Foster and Smith

+1. I have one in my 20g and its always hits the bullseye with the temp. Nothing short or far. It always keeps a steady 80 degrees in my tank. And amazon is less expensive than drs foster and smith for most items. The Aqueon pro heaters are also really good. They are also sold on amazon.
The only thing I suggest is too not look at the heaters on eBay. They are terrible even if they are really cheap. They can explode, die within minutes, etc. get a heater on a website that guarantees there products or accepts returns.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom