Couple of questions- Filtration and what not

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShubunkinLover

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Right, so i've now had my 20g planted tank set up for about 6 months....levels always test amazingly.

Up until now i've had a Penguin 125 bio-wheel on it which has been on the whole time, really established...I picked up a H.O.T Magnum with a bigger bio-wheel about a month ago and put that on the tank also...Ran both filters without carbon for awhile and just recently added floss to the canister.

I was sitting looking for a while and was just sick of not only the noise but the oxygen it was putting in the tank...so for the past hour or so I was ripping things apart and I ended up with a Tetra Whisper 10 with ceramic rings that are established from my Pirahna Tank. (Pirahna Tank HAD a Penguin 125 and this Whisper, now it just has the 125).

The canister and my other biowheel are ghetto-rigged onto my whiskey barrel pond in the garage with a bunch of goldfish in it for the winter.

Will the Whisper 10 with ceramic rings be enough for the tank? It's got a coralife light on it and the plants are really healthy, i'm also adding some iron.

It's too early to test really but what is the consensus? The water is a lot nicer now because it's clear and theres no current. Plants look much better.

The only other thing I think i'll probably do will ad some floss to the Whisper just to have mechanical filtration on it...heck, I may just buy another Whisper and fill it with floss....for the price they make nice quiet little filters.

Thanks for the help, sorry the post was so jumpy.

Philip

I would definitely get some mechanical filtration in there, and another Whisper might be just the thing.

If you have thriving plants with good lighting and a light bioload you could consider going "natural" and having no filtration. I have friends who run natural aquariums this way with great results, but you have to have things just right to do it. Just a wacky thought! :D

Back
Top Bottom