Deep Blue Solar Extreme quad T5HO

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deckape

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi, I am wondering if any of you have any experience with this particular light system? I have found a good ( I think) deal on the 48 inch model. It has actinics and 10000 bulbs on it. Since my 55 gallon is freshwater, I understand from reading other threads that I would be better off putting in the 6500-6700 bulbs. It is listed for 150 bucks and also has 8 led moonlights. I have been reading mixed reviews elsewhere. But as always, the best advice is here. Thanks in advance

Wayne

I bought the 36" 4x39 Solar Xtreme from my LFS last week. The store had a few other brands, but he sold me on this one because it had a timer built in. So not knowing much about it I gave in and bought it. After reading up on it when I got home, I got to be a little uncomfortable with it. I couldn't find a lot of information on it, and the info I did find, wasn't that good. I decided in the morning I was going to go back and exchange it.

I went back to the LFS and after talking to someone else there, he did admit that some of the problems were common, but for the price, the fixture has a lot of features. Looking at the other choices that they had there, I went with the 36" Nova Extreme 4x39. It was a little more, but I've read on countless threads that Nova Extremes are good fixtures, and the sales guy said the same thing.

A few things I've herd about Deep Blue kits are the fixtures smoking, the LEDs shortings out, the ballists burn out quick, and bulbs pop especially with the 48" model. Just the thought of having an electrical problem over water in my apartment was enough for me to return it.

I guess you get what you pay for. The timer, moonlights, and everything seem nice, but I just didnt want to take the risk of something happening when I'm not home.

I am glad to hear about it. Deep Blue is a pretty new company and seems to be making cheaper versions of many products already out there, from sponge filters (with ugly blue foam), tanks with black silicone (even on ten gallons), to Python water changers (since Python is no longer), and lighting. I don't think it is good that a company so young already has multiple problems with their lighting. I will stick with Coralife.

Thanks to you both for the advice. I will not be getting this particular light system. The benefits do not outweigh the risks for me. Thanks so very much!

I recognize that this is an old thread, but figured I'd chime in in case anyone was still curious - as the OP said there's not a ton of info out there about the fixture.

I've been using the solar extreme for about 6 months now and have had no issues with it whatsoever. The built in timer is a bloody god-send, as it greatly simplified my setup. The LEDs are a nice touch and give that nice "shimmer" effect at night.

The only complaint I have is that the bulbs it comes with are fairly crappy: very high in the yellow/green light spectrum. I'm going to be replacing them shortly with some bulbs that will be more to the blue end. The yellow/green lights that it comes with give the tank a vaguely "sick" look, even though my tank is perfectly healthy at the moment (knock on wood).

That having been said, even with buying new bulbs, this is a very solid "value" purchase. While I'm sure there's better fixtures out there, this is certainly a case of "plenty good enough for now" - and it beats the piss out of the old CFL lighting I'd been using previously.

Hey thanks for the review! I got an Odessa from ebay for 89 bucks. I appreciate the review, as I am asking for aquarium stuff for Christmas and my bday. I want to start a shrimp (RCS) only planted tank and will be needing lights of course. Thanks again.

Wayne

Last edited:
Happy with these lights

Hello,

So last year I went with these lights under the assumption that it was an upgrade over my coralife two bulb system and would allow me to see if this could support more corals with 4 T5 bulbs... if it failed I'd have a reason go to LED's :)

Well... they've run so well that I just had to buy four new LED bulbs for it as replacements. I think the stock lights were decent. Corals grew (not amazing) and the tank appeared nicely... especially in the evening with those moonlights.

So I bought a cheap system with the gamble that I'd have to go LED and in the end it looks like I am roped in for at least one more year on these new bulbs. Hopefully the API lights give better growth. If so it looks like I could be T5 land another 24 months... when LED's come down in price then I'll probably drop this lighting set. But till then.. cant beat it really.

Back
Top Bottom