Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-09-2011, 12:33 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
Originally Posted by duoc9119 View Post
Whenever I get a new heater, I put it in a 5 gallon bucket of water and a few thermometers as well as use a laser thermometer... Set the heater and wait for a few hours and test the water temperature. Adjust as needed and wait some more.
That's the same thing I do. I even throw in a powerhead to make sure the water is evenly mixed.

One nice thing about the Ebo Jaeger TS heaters is that the temperature knob on the top can be adjusted. So when you do the heater-in-the-bucket trick as noted above, and you find that the water is actually 76 when you have the heater set at 78, you can adjust the dial to 76. Now the dial accurately reflects your temperature standard.

But if you have any amount of money invested in your tank, I'd strongly recommend a controller, like the Ranco or a Hamilton Controls. More expensive that a heater, but the most likely thing to kill your tank is that silly bimetalic thermostat in your heater.

Kurt_Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:42 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Mine are close enough that I am fine with it. Whenever I first set them I put 3 spare thermometers into the same tank and adjust until they all tell me about the temp I want.

My Fish Videos | My Fish Photos
Tim Wheatley is offline   Reply With Quote

eat, eater, heat, heaters, temperature

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com