Drilled Tank Leak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eatsomepopcorn

Aquarium Advice Freak
How do you fix a leak in a fully functioning large 180g drilled tank that has a leak in the seal where the water exits the tank to the sump. How long do the seals last before you might have a problem?

I presume you're talking about the bulkhead.. If it's the seal between the bulkhead and the glass just try giving it a slight twist to snug it up. If that doesn't work you could drain the tank till it's below the overflow height and the remove and replace. If it's where the hose connects.. again try to tighten, if no luck replace the clamp, if no luck replace the hose

Overflow Box

Is it better to get an overflow box where it has intakes at bottom, middle and top or just the top. I worry about the whole tank draining accidently.

I got a Reef Octopus overflow, Best thing ever invented. Even if my power fails, Or somehow the syphon doesnt syphon.. I have no overflow anywhere. And even if the power goes out, Then restarts.. The syphon will start by itself.

If you want a video of my tank and how it works, Let me know and i'll do one!

Is it better to get an overflow box where it has intakes at bottom, middle and top or just the top. I worry about the whole tank draining accidently.
I never saw an overflow box with the intake anywhere but the top. If they were at the bottom or in the middle, I don't see how the overflow would even work.

I never saw an overflow box with the intake anywhere but the top. If they were at the bottom or in the middle, I don't see how the overflow would even work.

I agree, never saw one like that before.

In my opinion you cant go wrong with a lifereef or eshopps overflow box. I have been using 1 of each for a few years now. If setup right, theres no chance of a flood.

Are you talking about an internal overflow such as all glass or perfecto? They have holes in the box in different locations to pull water from bottom/middle level of tank. I think the concept is cool but it doesnt really matter.

I apologize, I was talking about an overflow box in the tank with pre-drilled holes in bottom of tank. If it goes by another name, my apologies.

If you have one that drains at the top you dont have to worry about the tank draining all the way. Mine`s at the top.

If you mean a predrilled Reef Ready tank, my overflows have holes near the bottom, but the water doesn't enter the overflow directly from those holes. There is actually a cover, sort of, where the water enters the holes at the bottom and flows up to the top and then down into the overflow. At least that's the theroy behind it. When I shut down my pump, the water only drains to the top of the overflow.

Yes, for a drilled tank, you should either have a baffle (what ccCapt is describing) that controls the water level, or use a stand pipe attached to the bulkhead. This prevents the tank from draining down with a power out.

Some tanks are drilled at the side so the bulkhead is placed higher, to control the water level. Personally, I still think you should still use a standpipe in that setup. this allows you to change the water level, and also quieten the water noise. <And if you use a stand pipe, it makes no difference if the bulkhead is at the bottom, top or middle! >

You guys rock. That was exactly what I was trying to figure out. The holes at the bottom actually have to drain upwards at the top so my tank will not drain - unless I spring a leak. How do you fix a leak at one of the pre-drilled spots - is there a rubber gasket or something that seals it at the glass?:rainbow1:

You mean you are leaking at the bulkhead?

You can try tightening the bulkhead if it is loose. Otherwise, there is a gasket inside that you may be able to change, or you might have to get a new bulkhead.

Depending on your type of overflow, you may be able to cover it from the tank side with plastic to stop the water flow. The back pressure of the water in the tank would hold it in place when the inside of the overflow is drained. This may let you fix the leak while not draining a large amount of water from the tank.

Back
Top Bottom