Emperor Penquin 280 noisey?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IceWind

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all, I replaced my UGF with a new Emperor 280 penguin Bio Wheel and so far, im really happy with it except one problem. The impellor makes alot of noise at any speed. It makes this terrible grinding/gurgling noise and it hasn't gotten any better over the last 3 days. Have a got a fautly unit or they supposed to be this noisey? My Top Fin External Filter was alot quieter then this thing.

What kind of substrate do you have? Have you taken the filter apart and cleaned the impellor?

I'd take the impellor out and just give it a good rinse and make sure it's working well all on the inside. It shouldn't be noisy. I assume the water flow is good?

And answer FF's question about the substrate.

I'll betcha my Emperor 400 makes twice as much noise and 2 times the bubbles your 280 makes.

In other words, "I ain't impressed". I'll be replacing mine soon.

I've done everything imaginable and more to quiet this thing down, but nothing works.

Eric

"grinding/gurgling noise" I have a emperor 400 and we have same manual.

Trouble Shooting pg 22.
To quote the manual
If the emperor makes a mechanical noise..
Remove Flow Manifold, and make certin Magnetic Impeller Assembly is free to rotate. Debris may be hindering silent rotation.

Even if the product is new it still gets tossed around in a box for a few solid months though shipping and packageing causeing the Impeller to slip out of its socket then you end up with that nasty grinding noise.

Also since you mentioned its being makeing this noise for 3 days its most likely your impeller will be banged up if resocketing your impeller dosnt fix the noise should get a new one.

btw this is what your looking for (something like this)
http://www.aquariumshoppe.com/thestore/prods/PR2121.html

seriosly. lol i accidently "melted" the plastic part of my impeller. it was noisly for around 2 days, but it got better. have you taken it apart yet? maybe the impeller housing didnt go in straight?

I have an Emperor 280 and a 400. I would say during shipping, the impeller came loose. Unplug the filter, remove the impeller unit and pull the impeller out, and reseat it. Then put it back on. Also, when plugging it in, you need to pour water in the impeller area so it gets suction. It should run silent, other than the slight sound of flowing water.

Back
Top Bottom