emperor vs penguin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

krap101

Aquarium Advice Addict
whats the diff? like between the emp 280 and the penguin 330 besides the 50 gph

thx man i guess its the spray bar the 2 filter media container thingy 2 pumps etc

Some more differences:

Penguin filters have the media baskets on the back of the filter box where the water will flow by the baskets but on my emperor 280 the media basket is placed so that the water will always have to flow THROUGH it. Additionally the emperor basket is after the filter media so you won't get large gunk build up on it. The penguins don't have this same arrangement.

On the emperor the lid is in two pieces with a hinge inbetween...my penguin 125 isn't that way but the 330 could be. The emperor has a much easier flow control design than the penguin 330. The emperor has a complete enclosure hiding the biowheel from possible outside damage and a window for viewing to make sure you still see it spinning. The penguins leave the wheels partially exposed. The emperor also has a window where water will "pool" showing you how clogged the filter is (supposedly when the water will fill that window to the top you should change the filter but I see a distinct lowering of flow performance when it is only half full).

well a claimed 280 gph
hack off say 10% for media usage so 250
if the flow control cuts it in half 125
if you go with 10x tank capacity 12.5 gal

though i would probably not use it on a tank that small
more likely 20 gal at the smallest
or 29 gal optimal
50 gal at most (also what the filter is rated max)

Centurion said:
well a claimed 280 gph
hack off say 10% for media usage so 250
if the flow control cuts it in half 125
if you go with 10x tank capacity 12.5 gal

though i would probably not use it on a tank that small
more likely 20 gal at the smallest
or 29 gal optimal
50 gal at most (also what the filter is rated max)

I could not see fitting the emp 280 onto my 10 gallon tank. It is almost too big physically and would probably require a bit of cutting at the intake tube to prevent it from sitting on the gravel. A 20 long might be too short as well... considering 2 inches of gravel unless you cut the intake tube shorter. A 20 Tall or 18 Tall would be fine I'd think...and the higher flow rate would probably be desirable to insure proper oxygenation of the water due to the limited surface area.

Back
Top Bottom