Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-27-2016, 10:47 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

filter advice for 150gal tank

Each winter I move my koi inside my unheated basement into 2- 150 gal rubermaid tanks. I am currently using an aquaclear 110 filter/pump on each tank, changing the carbon packet monthly. The water is cloudy and I know this system is not large enough to handle the demand on it. What setup would you recommend I add on to this, either one for each tank or a system I could share between both tanks?
Thanks for your expert advise.

Rocky

Old 01-27-2016, 11:00 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

I would continue to perform regular water changes regardless of the filtration methods involved.
About the filters, you can add a canister filter to each tank/tub. SunSun makes a very budget friendly line of canister filters.
You could also setup a sump between the two tanks. This would involve a smaller tank/tub (20-50 gallons), some bulkhead fittings for the larger tanks, PVC tubing and elbows, filter media, and a return pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 01-27-2016, 11:43 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sun sun canister is probably what I would do as well. Not sure if that is the canister I would pick for a permanent setup but as an inexpensive temporary setup from what others have had to say about them I would go that route.
Old 01-27-2016, 01:43 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

sun sun cannister filters

I'm not familiar with this type of setup but if I am correct, this has a pump already in it, correct? All I do is hose in, hose out, and turn it on? I assume you need some type of foam and carbon insert. This sounds like exactly what I am looking for.
Thanks
Old 01-27-2016, 01:59 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

You got it Rocky. A hose in and a return line , it is a self contained unit. Add your filter material of choice and plug it in.

Tags
advice, filter, filter advice, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com