Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-09-2003, 04:41 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Filter recommendations for 20gallon long

Hello everyone,

I'm setting up a planted 20gallon long tank. What kind of filter should I use, or should I not use one at all? I've read that surface agitation is bad, so that'll rule out the spare bio-wheel filter I have. What about a canister filter? I have a 55W cf light and flourite for the substrate.

AquaAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 11:44 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
I would think a canister would be your best bet to avoid surface agitation. Penn Plax has a new line of canisters out that are very reasonable. I saw them at the APPMA show in Atlanta and they look really good...might check them out. If you're looking to save a buck, and you don't mind having an internal filter, you might look at some of the internal power filters. I guess it will depend on your personal preference and what kind of fish load you intend to have. Will you be using C02 supplementation?
Logan J

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
Logan J
loganj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 03:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Yes I intend to supplement CO2 via a DIY system. I also intend a light fishload -- like a school of neons and maybe a few SAEs.
AquaAddict is offline   Reply With Quote

20 gallon, filter, long

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com