Filter w/ a Low Current?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sara

Aquarium Advice Freak
We're currently looking for a filter for our 5.5 gal Betta tank. The problem? Our Betta *hates* current. He used to live in 2 gal Waterhome with a built-in filter, but we had to keep it off most of the time because the current was too strong for him.

We know that a filter isn't required for the 5.5 gal, but we'd like to try and find one regardless. What we're looking for are any suggestions for a HOB filter that produces as little current as possible...thoughts?

And this Betta is one spoiled fish! His tank has just undergone renovations to include a balcony... :D

TIA!

Hi...I use a sponge filter in my 5.5 gallon betta tank. It's run by an air pump (Tetratec 12) and hooked up thru a gang valve (Penn Plax, I think) to lessen the air actually getting to the sponge filter. The sponge filter has a nice stream of bubbles coming up, that the betta likes to play in, but there is no current and the top of the water is almost perfectly still.

I think just about all HOB filters would be too much for a betta in a 5.5 gallon tank. I have read that some people have a small Whisper or Aquaclear mini in their 5.5 gallon, but they have something other than a betta in the tank.

In my opinion, a sponge filter is all you need in a 5.5 gallon betta tank. The bettas do not create a huge bio-load. The sponge filter provides a place for the good bacteria, and my readings are always 0 (ammonia), 0 (nitrites), and 20 (nitrate). In my betta tanks, I don't think I need a HOB to provide mechanical or chemical filtration. I do have a corner filter that I use carbon in occasionally (I take it in and out as needed.)

Here is the sponge filter I use:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...catid=3940&Ne=40000&R=6981&Nao=9&N=2004+22779

It's rated for a 15 gallon tank, but I think it's ok in my 5.5 gallon.

Back
Top Bottom